[SOLVED] Why is my 970 evo running at half speed?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 20, 2020
Userbenchmark showed it performing way below expectations at 9th percentile. I doublechecked and confirmed this with crystaldiskmark 1785 MB/s read and 1680 MB/s write. In researching this found some people say that their m2 was running at X2 instead of X4, but cant find anything in BIOS to change that. Im running an Asus 470 Pro.

UPDATE: I specifically told my coworked who built it to put it in the 1st slot which has a heatsink so i couldnt imagine it wouldnt be there, until i took the time to look last night. You were right, thanks. Im afraid to strip the screw and move it myself like i have read multiple people have done because Asus has started using Blue Loctite on their HDD screws, which make it really tough to remove which means dragging the tower to work again which stinks. Thank you for your help.

MOD EDITED: Re ordered comments so thread makes sense for others with same issue.

Last edited:
Ok
Well I hope the guys here can get your system fixed.
If i come across anything I'll hit you back but it was sounding similar.
I have been searching and trying many different things with no luck.
I will have to post in win 10 and Microsoft
Have already spoke with Samsung
Good Luck

lynx1021

Distinguished
This from ROG forum "
Set it PCIe, it should automatically default to X4. You can verify the interface through Samsung Magician software."
"Yes, install the Samsung NVME driver, it's faster than the generic MS driver".
The PCIEX16_3 4X-2X Switch: should be set to auto and the first M2 slot should set to 4X automatically unless it is not making good contact in the socket.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020
This from ROG forum "
Set it PCIe, it should automatically default to X4. You can verify the interface through Samsung Magician software."
"Yes, install the Samsung NVME driver, it's faster than the generic MS driver".
The PCIEX16_3 4X-2X Switch: should be set to auto and the first M2 slot should set to 4X automatically unless it is not making good contact in the socket.
According to magician it says its set to PCIe and i am using the samsung NVME driver.

Jan 20, 2020
SOLVED: I specifically told my coworked who built it to put it in the 1st slot which has a heatsink so i couldnt imagine it wouldnt be there, until i took the time to look last night. You were right, thanks. Im afraid to strip the screw and move it myself like i have read multiple people have done because Asus has started using Blue Loctite on their HDD screws, which make it really tough to remove which means dragging the tower to work again which stinks. Thank you for your help.

Last edited: