Question Why is my 9700k running so hot?

antb201

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
I have 3 front panel fans and one exhaust in the back. I even have my side panel off and cpu is running at 60 degrees celcius and im only running at 4 ghz . I cant overclock it to 5 because itll jump to 75-90 degrees celsius when i play apex or and i can smell it. Im using a cooler master maker 8 for cooling. I tried re-applying different thermal paste and didnt help. I want to at least game at 5 ghz. I admit the case i have is a vision II - BG and doesnt have the best airflow but with the side panel off i should def not be hitting up to 90 degrees. When i leave my clock at 4 ghz i hit an idle of 34-40 degrees which is kind of high since i have a pretty decent cooler.

Asus Z390 Plus gaming mobo
Asus XC Black Rtx 2070 gpu
i7 9700k
Cooler master master maker 8 cooling
Evga sc ddr4 series 16gb ram
Vision II -BG pc case
EVGA G3 750 watt Gold 80+ psu
Samsung evo 500 gb m.2 SSD
1tb seasonic HDD
Windows 10 home

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
With all that's been said and done on your thread's body, you forgot to mention some critical information. We will need your full system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Then mention your ambient air temps. Then check and see which version of BIOS you're on for your motherboard. Lastly what is the aftermarket cooler you're on for your CPU? Is this the cooler you're on?

Reactions: antb201

antb201

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
With all that's been said and done on your thread's body, you forgot to mention some critical information. We will need your full system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Then mention your ambient air temps. Then check and see which version of BIOS you're on for your motherboard. Lastly what is the aftermarket cooler you're on for your CPU? Is this the cooler you're on?
Sorry i edited it and thanks for the quick response =]. Yes bios is updated to latest version. And yes that is the cooler im using. Now im getting visual distortions (in games only) but for now im just wondering about my temps.

bignastyid

Titan

That's a clickbait sales site not a valid review site. They make money from people who buy from their links so of course they are going to say it's good. None of the 5 they had listed are good options for overclocking a 9700k let alone a 9900k, stock they would likely be enough to stop them from thermal throttling but too weak for overclocking..

antb201

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
That's a clickbait sales site not a valid review site. They make money from people who buy from their links so of course they are going to say it's good. None of the 5 they had listed are good options for overclocking a 9700k let alone a 9900k, stock they would likely be enough to stop them from thermal throttling but too weak for overclocking..
You might've saved me a lot of time and money. I was about to return all of my pc parts and start all over because my cpu is getting hot and its causing graphical errors. Which water cooler can keep my games in the 50s or 60s when being pushed to the limit ?

antb201

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
I remounted this thing like 5 times and thermal paste I used is very difficult to remove so I did use a lot of alocohol to get it off. Did I damage the cpu by doing this? Of course I dabbed it onto a a paper towel and q tip lol didnt pour it directly on. I don't see anyone else getting these high temps with 9700k. Sorry I got reported for "spamming" im new to this site. I can return this cooler and just pay the difference for a water cooler which wont be much more expensive IF this is the reason im seeing 90 degrees in fortnite at 4.9 MHz (not even overclocked). Just don't know which one to pick for low temps ?

antb201

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
Not going to lie Im surprised there aren't a bunch of threads of peoples temps going up to the high 80s and 90s with an air cooler all over the internet. I really feel like maybe psu or cpu is faulty but willing to give water cooling a chance.

bignastyid

Titan
50-60°C on a 9700k @5ghz would require an expensive custom loop with a water chiller. As far as AIOs the EVGA 280CLC is a good price/performance option, or of you want bigger the Corsair H150 or NZXT X72 now these won't get you 50-60 with overclocking, but may keep it ~80 or below depending on air flow and how much voltage your cpu requires to hit 5Ghz.

To reduce your current temps enter the bios and disable Multi core enhancement and any other auto overclocking as those usually uses way more voltage than needed which creates alot of extra heat.

antb201

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
50-60°C on a 9700k @5ghz would require an expensive custom loop with a water chiller. As far as AIOs the EVGA 280CLC is a good price/performance option, or of you want bigger the Corsair H150 or NZXT X72 now these won't get you 50-60 with overclocking, but may keep it ~80 or below depending on air flow and how much voltage your cpu requires to hit 5Ghz.

To reduce your current temps enter the bios and disable Multi core enhancement and any other auto overclocking as those usually uses way more voltage than IF which creates alot of extra heat.

To reduce your current temps enter the bios and disable Multi core enhancement and any other auto overclocking as those usually uses way more voltage than needed which creates alot of extra heat.
So every prebuilt from like dell has a crazy chiller inside to run it at stock speeds (4.9 turbo boost)? I see people playing apex with inferior air coolers than mine on youtube and not going over 70 degrees. I can manage to lower voltage and wattage in my bios and hit about 80 degrees but thought there was a natural way to do it without all the extra work. Maybe its not worth the AIOs if im getting a 5 degree improvement.

antb201

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
50-60°C on a 9700k @5ghz would require an expensive custom loop with a water chiller. As far as AIOs the EVGA 280CLC iprice/performance option, or of you want bigger the Corsair H150 or NZXT X72 now these won't get you 50-60 with overclocking, but

By the way i was averaging 60-70 degrees with the air maker 8

How did the core voltage get set so high to start with?

Are you letting the MB choose preset auto OC combinations? certainly running 1.55V core voltage would cause heating issues with almost anything....

(Often folks will show HWMonitor screenshots when facing these issues, and , certainly someone would have noticed such a high core voltage...had they been shown it or told of it.)

I'd also check to see if MCE is enabled, as naturally running all cores at max turbo will result in an additional 30 watts of power used/heat generated...

antb201

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
How did the core voltage get set so high to start with?

Are you letting the MB choose preset auto OC combinations? certainly running 1.55V core voltage would cause heating issues with almost anything....

(Often folks will show HWMonitor screenshots when facing these issues, and , certainly someone would have noticed such a high core voltage...had they been shown it or told of it.)

I'd also check to see if MCE is enabled, as naturally running all cores at max turbo will result in an additional 30 watts of power used/heat generated...
I didn't do anything to the computer. I just turned it on and ran it at stock speeds. Asus motherboards tend to run these chips at higher voltages. At least this motherboard does. I don't need to do anything else im running it at 1.27v right now and everything is perfect. I actually smelled my cpu before and didn't know what was wrong. Replaced all my parts with new ones because I didn't know why my games were having graphical errors and crashing. My cpu came in today and I put the computer together again with the same parts and it was still getting high temps so I knew it wasn't the hardware this time. I ran into that youtube video and it explained how asus motherboards run at higher voltages and he explained how to set the voltage on that motherboard. I followed instructions and now my temps are fine. Im sure the master air 8 cooler would've handled this cpu just fine too even though the guys that commented on this thread bashed it. This problem is solved now that I figured it out so I dont need any more tips but thanks lol. And for anyone with this motherboard i hope you can learn from my experience and i can help you out if you have questions.