Question Why is my back motherboard mic jack not working, but my front panel one is?

May 9, 2019
I have a HyperX cloud alpha headset, I've been using that for audio and a blue snowball for a mic, but yesterday the snowball stopped working correctly so I switched to the headset mic. Both the mic and headset work fine when plugged into the front audio jack on my PC except for that there is a very noticable and annoying buzzing/static noise in the headphones, which does away when I plug in the headset into the back motherboard audio jacks.

However, when I plug in the mic wire for my headset on the back motherboard jack, my microphone is not detected even though I get a notification from Realtek audio manager that a device has been plugged in. Why would my mic work in the front jack of my PC but not the back?

I have a ASRock H97 Pro4 motherboard if that is any help. If it is not possible to fix the microphone issue, is there any way to get rid of the buzzing/static noise in my headphones coming from the front audio jack? (my previous headset also had the same issue with the buzzing noise)

popatim

Titan
Launch the Realtek control panel and make sure you have the pink jack setup as Mic and not something else. My Realtek driver asks me what I just plugged in so you might want to make sure you have the latest ALC892 driver for your OS too.