Question Why is my bandwidth limited to 8 mbps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2019
On all other devices my internet reaches 50-60 mbps but on my windows pc, out of nowhere i am only getting 8 mbps.

RealBeast

Titan
On all other devices my internet reaches 50-60 mbps but on my windows pc, out of nowhere i am only getting 8 mbps.
If you are using wireless, it is the wireless adapter or location.
If using Ethernet cable, it sounds like some point in the path is not fast Ethernet capable, limiting it to a max rate of 10Mbps less overhead would get to about 8Mbps. Could be a bad port or cable.

Mar 5, 2019
If you are using wireless, it is the wireless adapter or location.
If using Ethernet cable, it sounds like some point in the path is not fast Ethernet capable, limiting it to a max rate of 10Mbps less overhead would get to about 8Mbps. Could be a bad port or cable.
I am using a wireless adapter but I have been trying for hours to fix this and there does not seem to be anything wrong with the adapter. I also will mention that I have been using this adapter for a year now and only now suddenly my internet is limited to 8 mbps. It will no go any higher.

Unfortunately there is not much you can set on a wifi adapter. If it is a dual band try the other band. Your 2.4 and 5g radio should have different ssid on your router which lets you select the band. Unfortunately you can not just set the radio frequency on the pc you need to do it my selecting the proper SSID.

It is not common but wifi adapters do fail.

Mar 5, 2019
Unfortunately there is not much you can set on a wifi adapter. If it is a dual band try the other band. Your 2.4 and 5g radio should have different ssid on your router which lets you select the band. Unfortunately you can not just set the radio frequency on the pc you need to do it my selecting the proper SSID.

It is not common but wifi adapters do fail.
I believe the router is dual band but we are only paying for 2.4 GHz.It just happened so suddenly, in the last two days and nothing the internet says to do, works.

RealBeast

Titan
I am using a wireless adapter but I have been trying for hours to fix this and there does not seem to be anything wrong with the adapter. I also will mention that I have been using this adapter for a year now and only now suddenly my internet is limited to 8 mbps. It will no go any higher.
Yeah, wireless is that way -- any new interference source can pop up from a nearby network or a huge number of desktop or household devices. Could also be a physical problem with the device, but I would suspect an interference issue first.

Download a free cellphone wifi analyzer app and look at all of the wireless networks around you to start. 2.4 or 5GHz or have you tried both? Adapter model?

Mar 5, 2019
All is well! I waited one day and when i arrived home today I removed the chip, blew on it and put it back on. I'm not sure if this actually did anything but my internet is back to normal again. I will also say I did a system restore yesterday but nothing changed in the minutes after that. Maybe it needed some time to see the results. Thanks for all you help anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.