[SOLVED] Why is my C: drive so full?

NatoPotato390

Commendable
Feb 24, 2019
I have a 60GB SSD with windows 10 installed. Recently it's been getting pretty full and i am having to clean out my downloads and videos often. At some point i selected all the folders in the C: drive and hit properties to see how much space it was taking up that way. After waiting for it to calculate it showed that the files and folders were all taking up only 28GB. In the "my pc" area where it shows all the drives usage it says 55GB were being used. Im a bit curious as to why it does this.
I also just hope i dont have a bad ssd, my programs folders take up minimal space and the downloads videos and documents folders are almost empty.

Solution
A 60GB drive is easily full with the OS and its updates.
Along with a whole host of other things you do not see in File Explorer.

Install either WinDirStat or WizTree
Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.

Post a screencap here.

NatoPotato390

Commendable
Feb 24, 2019
Well if you are in the main foler of the c drive program files etc. Some files are hidden and therefor not counted. If you want to enable that you can see all hidden files you need to go to visual https://imgshare.io/image/knipsel1.Ni4RZ

Then select option far right
In that menu click view

and the scroll till you see hidden files and maps and select to be able to see it.
i do have them showing

popatim

Titan
Windows won't show you everything being used. Download and run a utility such as WinDirStat , Treesize, Spacesniffer ... and run them as Admin to get a better idea of what is eating your space. It could be restore points if those are enabled.