Question Why is my computer cutting out every hour?

DigitalDavid

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
I bought a new Gigabyte 1080 Ti a few months ago and not long after installing it it began to cause my computer screen to freeze after about an hour. My applications with visuals would go blank and or not respond and it would be fine a couple seconds after until the next hour. Occasionally, boot-up has had trouble as well. All of the other parts on my rig are relatively new (installed within a year) except for the drives.

Edit (forgot specs):

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K 3.70GHz, Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, temp @ idle: 30C, @ load: 37C
MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E (BIOS v 0616)
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-2400 Ballistix Sport
GPU: Aorus Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1080Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB, driver v 23.21.13.8813, temp @ idle: 35C, @ load: 47C
PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 P2 (8 months old)
SSD(OS): Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (default fans)]
Monitor: Samsung S27D360 1920x1080

Last edited:
First of all, kindly provide full PC specs. there is very little info to troubleshoot your issue.

-1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information.

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec

Reactions: DigitalDavid
MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E (BIOS v 0616)

First of all, update the BIOS, because the latest version is 2001, dated 2019/05/16, even though this might not be the culprit in your case. I would also make sure to clear/reset all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default, if need be. Can you test the card on some other PC ? Do GAMES also freeze on your system, or just the applications ?

Also, try doing a FRESH Windows 10 OS install, if other solutions don't work. Your current PC specs are fine. Maybe the card is faulty, but we can't jump on any conclusion, unless the GPU has been tested on some other system as well.