[SOLVED] Why is my computer getting slow over time?

topeira

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Hey everyone.
Thanks for reading this.

Recently I am having a problem:
When I boot up my computer, it works well, but sometimes, and I cant really pin point when and because of what, it starts crawling and stuttering. my HDD light flashes far more frequently and everything staggers up to a point where I have to restart.
Up until just a week ago I had no such issues. I'd restart once every few days at best, but now I restart a few times a day because something causes my computer to crawl. I cant run games or work on it and am forced to restarts.

I tried running Ccleaner to see if there are any registry errors or other stuff I can clean, but that didnt help.

Any advice?

My rig:
Win 10
8GB RAM
GPU: 1060 6GB Vram
CPU: i7 4700 3.4ghz

C: drive is an SSD.
Other drives are HDD

Solution
Firstly check for malware (malwarebytes is pretty good)
and run a virus scanner. Cccleaner is pretty much garbage and does nothing.

The slowing of a pc overtime is vindictive of hard drives as the boot drive, but not of ssds.
what do you mean by slow down? searching for files, or opening chrome?

Any apps that run on your hdd will slow your experience in anything that demands the work of the hdd.
usually you dont wanna run any applications that are 24/7 open (game launchers, any startup programs) on the harddrive, and just keep dormant files (pictures, games, anything that you open just 1 of, and not keep in the background)

If the desktop slows down, its probably a different issue, unless C drive is actually a hdd and you never...
Firstly check for malware (malwarebytes is pretty good)
and run a virus scanner. Cccleaner is pretty much garbage and does nothing.

The slowing of a pc overtime is vindictive of hard drives as the boot drive, but not of ssds.
what do you mean by slow down? searching for files, or opening chrome?

Any apps that run on your hdd will slow your experience in anything that demands the work of the hdd.
usually you dont wanna run any applications that are 24/7 open (game launchers, any startup programs) on the harddrive, and just keep dormant files (pictures, games, anything that you open just 1 of, and not keep in the background)

If the desktop slows down, its probably a different issue, unless C drive is actually a hdd and you never noticed (i doubt that though.)

Solution

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
How much ram is in usage when the slowdown starts?
You might just be running out of ram after a while, and when the computer start to use virtual memory you can surely experience an awful overall slowdown as you describe.
Nowadays, 8 gigs of ram should be okay, but it's the bare minimum, and if one app running is memory hungry, then such effect is not unexpected.

topeira

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Thank you both for your advice.

I will give malwarebytes a go. thank you.
Is there any free anti malware software you can recommend?

my boot drive is my SSD. im sure of it :)

I also thought its a memory issue.
So, I've been doing just fine with my 8GB until just a few days ago, but the way the computer is behaving now seems like the memory is full or something and perhaps there is an increase in using the page file or whathaveyou... (I might be wrong. I dont know enough about this subject), but why would my computer suddenly have issues like that without anything changing in it? it was fine a week ago and now... it isnt as fine :\

Maybe a windows update or a malware...?

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Possible, or maybe a new app recently installed, or an older app that got an update that's breaking it... So many possibilities.

One thing you can do is to open task manager and sort the processes by memory usage. that might give a hint on what software is eating up your ram...

Jun 11, 2020
There are many things to be noted.
  1. First, check if there is any malware.
  2. Check if your window is updated. if not please update the windows.
  3. Disable the startup softwares which kills you CPU and Ram usage at the startup.
  4. Try to get an SSD and put the os on it.

topeira

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Thanks for all the advice.

I think it was a form of malware that I managed to remove with "Malwarebytes". it seems to have mostly "cured" my computer.
Thanks.

What kind of FREE Anti-Malware software would you recommend?

TRENDING THREADS