Why is my computer performing so poorly???

AdamPK

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
I'm running an AMD 8350 CPU, GTX 970 GPU, 4 8GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance Series DDR3-2400, ASRock 990FX Killer ATX AMD Motherboard, EVGA 600 Watt power supply, Corsair Hydro Series H105 cooler, and an ASUS VG248QE 24" 1080p 144Hz LED Monitor. My computer should be able to play games like fallout 4 (at medium settings) correct? Well it cant. I cant get more than 30 FPS on it, or anything I play! I've fought with this computer for the whole 7 months since I built it and no one can figure out what the matter is. Its rather frusterating when other friends with lower end processors and graphics cards can run circles around my build. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks in advance!!

sammy sung

Distinguished
1.) What is your GPU clocked at, and temperature?

2.) What is your processor clocked at, and temperature?

3.) Have you monitored processor & GPU usage?

4.) Have you used different PCIe slots?

5.) Have you tried a different power supply?

6.) Have you updated everything to their most recent non beta drivers/bios revisions?

werries238

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Best shot is to try Sammy's answer. Believe me thermal paste can make a big difference.
I know it breaks immersion but try to run MSI afterburner or a similar program to monitor RAM, CPU usage and temp etc. Even if it is just for the first 20 minutes of gaming just to see how everything is preforming and such. A GTX 970 should run Fallout without any problems although it begins to drop performance when using the last 500mb of VRAM. You should also try to turn off Godrays because it really saps fps.

Hope it helps mate.

AdamPK

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

Average time was: 29.322s
Best time was on CPU #7 with: 27.202s
Worst time was on CPU #00 with: 33.281s

AdamPK

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

GPU is clocked at 1190 MHZ, and Temp is 60C idle.
CPU Is clocked at 1396.92 MHz. CPU temp is 30C idle
And yes, GPU Usage peaked at 42% While running ARMA 3 at medium/high settings.
CPU peaked at 64% While ARMA was running as well.

Ive actually had my 970 installed in both slots, with little to no difference.
As far as power supply goes, I have not. I have just used the EVGA power supply that I bought at the start of this build.
No, I made sure my graphics drivers and all were up to date, but that was all.
Now with my computer, on multiple games, (ARMA 3, ARMA 2, dayZ, and a few others) my FPS Is almost stuck at 10FPS, But Vsync is off, so it doesn't make much sense to me. I've tried DayZ on the highest settings, and lowest, and I can't get more than 10FPS consistently, maybe 15 at most.