Question Why is my computer randomly freezing?

quake004

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I've had the computer for a year now and this had never happened. But since a couple weeks ago it freezes randomly like 3 times a day or so for around 20 seconds. I opened the computer a few weeks ago to install a wifi adapter (although I couldn't because there was no room for it) and I cleaned it a bit with the vacuum cleaner. Maybe I left a cable in the way of a fan or something? Also I like to hibernate the computer so I don't know if it might be the SSD that's giving the problem. As I don't get any errors I don't have any idea of what it might be.

This is my computer build:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65
mobo: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX
ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB SSD 2.5"
GPU: Asus Radeon RX 580 8 GB DUAL
case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower
PSU: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX

Lutfij

Titan
Which OS version are you on(assuming you're on Windows 10)? Which BIOS version are you working with on the motherboard? Might want to see if replacing the PSU with a donor unit from a friend or neighbor that can deliver at least 650W of power to the entire system(reliably), to rule out a faulty PSU.

quake004

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
OS version: Windows 10.
BIOS version: F32,
BIOS Date: 05/06/2019.
I updated the BIOS after building the PC, that was last year.
I have an old computer that still works with a PSU LC Power LC6550GP2 550W v2, I'll try it and report back.

quake004

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Changing all the cables just to test an old psu seemed like too much trouble. I blew the pc with compressed air to take all the dust it had accumulated during the year. I tested with a different ram and a different video card and it still hangs. I'm just going to assume it's the psu what it's hanging the computer and buy another one.
What are the reasons why a psu could start having issues?

quake004

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I've used Open Hardware Monitor after gaming and the maximum I've seen was 55 ºC for the GPU. Anyway I think I should connect the other fan that came with the case. I have it disconnected because there are no more pins in the motherboard but I can buy a splitter. Should I have one input and one exhaust? Two inputs? Or do I leave it as it is.

quake004

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
It was the SSD.

Lately the computer was freezing much more often. I changed the SSD yesterday and it hasn't frozen again.

Now today I don't know why the computer isn't booting. It says 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key'. So I've tried again with the faulty SSD and in the BIOS it gives me the option to boot from Windows Boot Manager, and it doesn't give me that option on the new SSD. If I don't select that option it gives me the same error message in the faulty SSD.

The partitions after cloning with Macrium Reflect are like:
1 - Recovery NTFS Primary, 2 - NO NAME FAT32 (LBA) Primary, 3 - Unformatted Primary, 4 - (C) NTFS Primary.

They are the same sizes in both SSDs.

So why can't I boot today from the SSD when I could boot yesterday?

Edit: Ok, false alarm. I see now the Windows Boot Manager option with the new SSD.