Question Why is my computer shutting down?

Apr 2, 2019
It was working fine but one day it just crashed or something. I have a Asus M5A97 le r2.0 mobo amd Fox 8350 gtx 760. It will run but then shut off. I’ve tried checking processor was in right etc. I’ve reinserted each wire ram sticks moved graphics card I’ve even checked the power button was working by unplugging it and turning IT on without it by the metal prongs things. All the cords etc is there but it just shuts off. The processor is not fried nore is the mobo damaged in any way. Please help!

The usual culprits are a bad PSU ,bad GPU (they do fail eventually) or a bad RAM stick. A failed CPU is less common but possible. The only way to be sure is to rule out each one.

You could see if you can try your GPU in another computer or try a different one in yours.

The PSU can be tested with cheap PSU testing tools available on Newegg or Amazon, about 10 USD.

For your RAM try and use 1 stick at a time if you havent, if both stick dont work then its probably not the RAM but still coudl be and youll need new sticks or try yours in another computer (that's compatible)

If all that fails then its either your CPU or Motherboard, with that you can buy a FX 8350 used cheap same with a motherboard (honestly I would just buy a new Mobo and CPU at that point though as the FX line wasnt that great when launched and hasnt aged well)

That board is not sufficient quality and lacks adequate power delivery for the FX 8 core processors.

Aside from that, which is almost certainly a factor because I've seen probably fifty or more threads over the years with that LE2.0 motherboard having similar problems with the FX8 processors, what are the rest of your hardware specs?

What is the EXACT model number of your power supply? What is the model of your CPU cooler? Memory?

Have you tried monitoring thermals in the BIOS or in Windows if it stays running long enough to do so? Shut downs without blue screen are usually due to bad motherboard, bad power supply or tripping thermal protections.

My guess, without knowing more, is that is a classic faulty or low quality power supply.

Apr 2, 2019
That board is not sufficient quality and lacks adequate power delivery for the FX 8 core processors.

Aside from that, which is almost certainly a factor because I've seen probably fifty or more threads over the years with that LE2.0 motherboard having similar problems with the FX8 processors, what are the rest of your hardware specs?

What is the EXACT model number of your power supply? What is the model of your CPU cooler? Memory?

Have you tried monitoring thermals in the BIOS or in Windows if it stays running long enough to do so? Shut downs without blue screen are usually due to bad motherboard, bad power supply or tripping thermal protections.

My guess, without knowing more, is that is a classic faulty or low quality power supply.
The thing Is the gpu works it turns on it shows up on my monitor but then it gets to the mother board and it will work for a second then the computer shuts down I have a liquid cooling instead of fan. So it’s not s heating issue I hope.

It doesn't matter what kind of cooler you have, you can still have a cooling issue. I'm not sure what you mean by " it gets to the motherboard"? In fact, I'm not too sure about most of what you're saying.

Does the system POST? Can you get into the BIOS? Can you boot into Windows, at all? Have you been running any kind of overclock on the CPU at all?

Have you tried resetting the CMOS?

We need to know WHAT it actually still is able to do and what it actually is not able to do. Gets to the motherboard and then shuts down makes no sense to me in any way.

TRENDING THREADS