[SOLVED] Why is my computer so loud when I turn it on but silent a few minutes after running windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
Hello everyone, I have an HP desktop that is around 5 years old and works fairly well. I never really thought of it at first but it always made a loud whirring noise when I first turned it on. I didn't think much of it at first these past years but I'm just really curious to know what it is. The noise seems to calm down as the computer starts running programs and windows and then becomes very silent, like if nothing happened. The noise doesn't affect the computer itself, everything is fine, it can run programs just fine and games just fine with no issues, nor crashes. To make things stranger, the noise only seems to occur when I turn it on in the morning or when not using it for a while, like more than 5 hours however I just don't know. If I turn it on after a few hours that I have used it there is no noise. So what could be the culprit for this weird whirring noise? It is kind of loud and annoying.

Edit: I have modified this computer, I swapped out the 180 watt psu with a 430 watt thermaltake, added a GeForce GT 1030 OC DDR5 from gigabyte, and added a samsung ssd 980 1 tb nvme ssd.

Solution
Hello everyone, I have an HP desktop that is around 5 years old and works fairly well. I never really thought of it at first but it always made a loud whirring noise when I first turned it on. I didn't think much of it at first these past years but I'm just really curious to know what it is. The noise seems to calm down as the computer starts running programs and windows and then becomes very silent, like if nothing happened. The noise doesn't affect the computer itself, everything is fine, it can run programs just fine and games just fine with no issues, nor crashes. To make things stranger, the noise only seems to occur when I turn it on in the morning or when not using it for a while, like more than 5 hours however I just don't...
Doesn't sound like anything other than the fans ramping down from full speed at turn on to a lower speed as called for by the temperature monitoring system. The differences in when it does/does not happen being how hot/cool the system is after sitting for a while. Nothing to worry about unless this is something brand new.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everyone, I have an HP desktop that is around 5 years old and works fairly well. I never really thought of it at first but it always made a loud whirring noise when I first turned it on. I didn't think much of it at first these past years but I'm just really curious to know what it is. The noise seems to calm down as the computer starts running programs and windows and then becomes very silent, like if nothing happened. The noise doesn't affect the computer itself, everything is fine, it can run programs just fine and games just fine with no issues, nor crashes. To make things stranger, the noise only seems to occur when I turn it on in the morning or when not using it for a while, like more than 5 hours however I just don't know. If I turn it on after a few hours that I have used it there is no noise. So what could be the culprit for this weird whirring noise? It is kind of loud and annoying.

Edit: I have modified this computer, I swapped out the 180 watt psu with a 430 watt thermaltake, added a GeForce GT 1030 OC DDR5 from gigabyte, and added a samsung ssd 980 1 tb nvme ssd.
It may be a safety system built into the BIOS. It starts the fans at 100% to ensure that there is no overheating and to ensure that RPM information is fed back to the motherboard.
After initialization of the thermal sensors, and the temperatures are verified to be in a safe range, then the fans are slowed.

Reactions: TommyTwoTone66
Solution

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
The HP BIOS is a funny old beast. Sometimes they release updates that make the fan speed profiles all screwy, sometimes they get complaints from users about noisy fans and reduce them, sometimes they get complaints about overheating and increase them.

My advice would be to update the bios to the newest one, then go into the BIOS menu and find the “Thermals” menu and see what you can find there.

Certainly by replacing the PSU you will have upset the HP bios, who is a very xenophobic soul and hates outsiders. This alone might be why it gives a few seconds of full blast while booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.