[SOLVED] Why is my core gpu speed so much lower than it should be?

lmayer33

Commendable
Aug 6, 2017
Hey so I have been trying to improve my gaming performance on my laptop, and have had trouble with low gpu usages. When i play games like subnautica i get a gpu usage of 5-20% which seems really low, but I know its not a cpu bottleneck because no matter what game im playing cpu rarely gets past 60%. So I installed MSi afterburner to try and mess with my settings and found out that my core GPu clock is at 139 MHz, but online it says that the base clock shoul be 1215 MHz . Am I safe to use the slider and set my gpu to this 1215 MHz or am I totally understanding this all wrong?
anything helps thanks!

specs:
Intel i7-8750H cpu @
16 gb ram
256 gb SSD
gtx 1070 with max-q design (8gb v-ram)

Last edited:
Solution
Your right I checked when I was playing and it was at 1215 MHz. Do you think I will be fine just overclocking it a bit to reach a stable 60 fps that I want? right now I get 50-55 with dips occasionaly into the 40s, but if i overclock a bit I could theoretically get to a stable 60 fps.
Overclocking a laptop is generally not a good idea, they usually don’t have the thermal and power headroom. You might even loose performance by causing the cpu/gpu to hit its thermal/power limits much sooner. A lot of laptop gamers end up undervolting to avoid thermal limits at stock speeds. You say you get dips to 50, to push that up to 60 is a 20% increase in FPS which seems highly unlikely. If you are gpu limited you can try turning down game...

lmayer33

Commendable
Aug 6, 2017
The gpu will throttle down when needed. What is the speed while actually playing a game?

Total cpu usage is fairly meaningless, it only takes 1 core at 100% to limit performance even if total usage is much lower.

Your right I checked when I was playing and it was at 1215 MHz. Do you think I will be fine just overclocking it a bit to reach a stable 60 fps that I want? right now I get 50-55 with dips occasionaly into the 40s, but if i overclock a bit I could theoretically get to a stable 60 fps.

Overclocking a laptop is generally not a good idea, they usually don’t have the thermal and power headroom. You might even loose performance by causing the cpu/gpu to hit its thermal/power limits much sooner. A lot of laptop gamers end up undervolting to avoid thermal limits at stock speeds. You say you get dips to 50, to push that up to 60 is a 20% increase in FPS which seems highly unlikely. If you are gpu limited you can try turning down game settings.

Reactions: lmayer33
Solution

TRENDING THREADS