[SOLVED] Why is my CPU always at 4.8GHz

May 6, 2020
I have my power setting to Balanced, and in task manager it shows around 1%-2% usage at idle. CPU will stay at 4.8GHz and not drop to the 5% Min that the Balanced setting has set.
Temps stay around 27°C - 30°C.
Is there something that I am missing to have the CPU frequency drop to the 5% when at idle?
Or is this normal?

Its a new build Put together April 25th, 2020.
i7 9700K
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI

Solution
Cpus have 3 speed settings. Idle, base, boost.

At idle, the cpu backs off on core speeds and voltage use, so temps are set according to ambient case temps and efficiency of cooler.

At minimal loads, under @ 30%, you get base speeds, which is the factory set speed to determine TDP. It's usually pretty pathetic.

At loads over @ 30% (which is basically anything you start up) the cpu goes to best performance mode and will turbo/boost according to temps and power limits. For the 9700k, that's 1 core at 4.9GHz, 2 cores at 4.8GHz, 3-4 cores at 4.7GHz and 5-8 cores at 4.6GHz. Stock. OC will change that, as will locking the cores at max boost of 4.9GHz, both of which drastically increase power usage, and therefore heat output.

Moving the...
You do not have to worry about it because your temps are pefect fine your cpu can reach upto 4.90ghz since thats the max turbo. Wont caurse harm to your computer or cpu with those temps or good temps while gaming. I have 19 9900k and my speed is always on 4.7ghz and my temps are fine but You can always go into bios and change the speed!.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020
You do not have to worry about it because your temps are pefect fine your cpu can reach upto 4.90ghz since thats the max turbo. Wont caurse harm to your computer or cpu with those temps or good temps while gaming. You can always go into bios and change the speed!
I had it OCd at 5.1GHz when I was tryin out OC. It behaved the same always sitting at the 5.1GHz and temps at around 33°C - 36°C at idle.

I had it OCd at 5.1GHz when I was tryin out OC. It behaved the same always sitting at the 5.1GHz and temps at around 33°C - 36°C at idle.

Yeah i went into my bios and changed it to 50ghz and am stuck at the same ghz speed all time, So when you place a number you want ghz to be at it will get stuck at ghz or maybe lower because mine is at 4,97ghz so if you want it lowerd maybe go back into bios and change it to auto. But if you do want to boost cpu speed maybe run some stress test on the cpu to check out the temps when under load because idle temps are good but you never know what your gaming temps are going to be like and also becareful with overclocking over the max turbo speed!

One would have to assume your multiplier settings are no longer default, and , that you have either entered one manually (49X, perhaps?), or, engaged a BIOS preset OC of some type...

If you stay in default multiplier mode, with MCE-enabled, but in Balanced power mode, most Z390 BIOS options will allow you to enter a specific clock speed curve for X-amount of cores active...yet still allow the CPU to idle down to 800-1000 MHz when just loafing at the desktop... (intel's XTU also allows the exact same easy to use options, but which only engage a few seconds after bootup is complete)

May 6, 2020
Yeah i went into my bios and changed it to 50ghz and am stuck at the same ghz speed all time, So when you place a number you want ghz to be at it will get stuck at ghz or maybe lower because mine is at 4,97ghz so if you want it lowerd maybe go back into bios and change it to auto. But if you do want to boost cpu speed maybe run some stress test on the cpu to check out the temps when under load because idle temps are good but you never know what your gaming temps are going to be like and also becareful with overclocking over the max turbo speed!
I ran a few tests fur mark and cinebench and wasnt getting over 74°C. at 5.1GHz.
Since you are saying that the CPU Clock staying at the set frequency is ok. I want to try and undervolt the CPU now to make it a little cooler if I can.

May 6, 2020
One would have to assume your multiplier settings are no longer default, and , that you have either entered one manually (49X, perhaps?), or, engaged a BIOS preset OC of some type...

If you stay in default multiplier mode, with MCE-enabled, but in Balanced power mode, most Z390 BIOS options will allow you to enter a specific clock speed curve for X-amount of cores active...yet still allow the CPU to idle down to 800-1000 MHz when just loafing at the desktop... (intel's XTU also allows the exact same easy to use options, but which only engage a few seconds after bootup is complete)
Yes, I set the Ratio to 48. I have seen people overclocking their CPU by changing the Ratio but still having their CPU drop down when Idle. was hoping to find out why mine isnt dropping down like others?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpus have 3 speed settings. Idle, base, boost.

At idle, the cpu backs off on core speeds and voltage use, so temps are set according to ambient case temps and efficiency of cooler.

At minimal loads, under @ 30%, you get base speeds, which is the factory set speed to determine TDP. It's usually pretty pathetic.

At loads over @ 30% (which is basically anything you start up) the cpu goes to best performance mode and will turbo/boost according to temps and power limits. For the 9700k, that's 1 core at 4.9GHz, 2 cores at 4.8GHz, 3-4 cores at 4.7GHz and 5-8 cores at 4.6GHz. Stock. OC will change that, as will locking the cores at max boost of 4.9GHz, both of which drastically increase power usage, and therefore heat output.

Moving the mouse is a load, so the cpu will not idle if you keep moving the mouse to keep the Screensaver disabled or the monitor active.

It'll also stay at a load if you've done anything like mess with the OC Genie/automatic overclock, changed vcore in bios, tampered with bios settings on a multitude of ways like disable speed step or c-states etc.

Solution