Why is my CPU clock speed going above the max?!?

Billy ball bags

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
Hi, I've been having issues recently...

http://imgur.com/VE5iHHi

Generally when watching videos on youtube or something, mostly video related anyway. Video stops, screen turns a funny colour (can be random) sound begins to distort and come to a stop in 2 or 3 seconds, and the whole system becomes unresponsive.

I've recently developed an issue on my GPU, it's a GTX 970, the Display port has stopped working, all the other ports are fine, I have a replacement 980ti to go in but I'm waiting for the case to arrive.

Since the port went dead I decided to step up for an upgrade, so I've been buying bits and bobs, got a superflower Leadex 850 PSU, the 980ti and a phantex evolv case (awaiting on the case), but basically I've been getting these crashes which are becoming more frequent, they started about a week ago...

So... I decided to install the PSU, (all good) working fine and I did get the crashes before then. I cleaned the CPU fan and replaced the thermal paste. (all fine, started first time, runs perfectly well when not crashing).

But the crash has happened twice in the last hour, and upon investigation, my CPU is going over the max clock speed despite it being set to 3.3 GHz (base clock speed)... I've never noticed it before... Is that normal? It fluctuates every few seconds, and I know my CPU i5 2500 sandybridge, can turbo itself if necessary, but it's literally just idling, nothing but task manager at the time...

WHATSA GOIN AHN?!?!?

Solution
Hello... What did you update? But... along as it's not crashing... that is the best world to have... Cpu speed is not the Killer here... it's what the temperature of the CPU gets to that causes a physical problem... if you think you have the drivers, MB settings, temps and crashes stopped... you can create a MAX CPU power profile (90%?) too ease your mind. B )
Hello... Typically a BSOD will report a file that caused the problem... look for that.
1) Go to Computer-manage-Event viewer-Windows logs and read/report/post back the Logged errors.
2) Are you overclocking?
3) Did you (Or Windows ) do a Driver/hardware updates before the problem? try a "restore point" before the problem started.

Billy ball bags

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

Lol which error? There are quite a few...

Found this https://imgur.com/4bSRPPI

Does the CPU clock speed seem unusual to you? I have OC'd in the past, for about a month or so, where I increased the multiplier to 36 instead of 33, but I reverted back about 3 months ago, the system was stable during the OC and after.

Hello... Try with the most resent... that seem familiar TO the time these happened while you were Using/watching?... You can delete really old ones if ya like, and not consistent to the Most current errors. Look them Over... there will be a common driver or Drivers naming themselves... IF the driver and the hardware on your MB loses communication, it will BSOD and report there.

Hello... Yes... it seems to be a Intel-Windows Power problem... that could be a MB BIO's update/setting, Windows update, Intel driver Update... determine in your Control panel-devices or Intel on the internet... See what intel software is responsible for the Power plan CPU/Windows OS OR Windows replaced the ORIG Intel driver with something else?
Have you played with Windows POWER saving MODES a lot? and created a lot of profiles? you might want to REGEDIT the registry and remove the extra ones created or try to get back to Windows default setting. B )

Billy ball bags

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

Hey man, nah, I've not made many if any adjustments to power saving modes, I'll try to download windows and intel updates and take it from there...

The question I have however is related to the CPU, did that elevated clock speed seem wrong to you?

Ty =)

Billy ball bags

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

By the way, my cpu wasn't up to date, however it's since updated although the clock speeds haven't reduced, it even spiked at 3.89GHz a moment ago =O

Hello... What did you update? But... along as it's not crashing... that is the best world to have... Cpu speed is not the Killer here... it's what the temperature of the CPU gets to that causes a physical problem... if you think you have the drivers, MB settings, temps and crashes stopped... you can create a MAX CPU power profile (90%?) too ease your mind. B )

Solution

Billy ball bags

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

Ironsounds, thanks a bunch man... It's been stable since yesterday although I'm yet to really give it a full day's use, but I'm relieved to have updated to intel drivers at least.. I'll wait to see if it messes me around anymore, and I can change out the GPU on Wednesday when the case arrives, maybe it was the GPU, idk, time will tell...

Cheers mate ;)