Why is my cpu i5 reaching 100% Usage when downloading steam games?

makugx

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Greetings,

I just reinstalled a fresh windows 7 ultimate 64
8GB ram
390 ati
750 psu
850 evo samsung ssd

and noticed the cpu usage when downloading any game, as tiny as they may be, was 100% and stuck up there going up and down a little bit but mostly stuck on 100%.

It's concerning.

Thank you for your help.

Solution
Just because YOU didn't get an answer doesn't mean that the other hundred of questilns asked here are not being answered. And your attitude is enough for most people to not want to reply, and most likely the only replies you will get now are complaining about your comments. Not really helping yourself with that spoiled comment. We are offering you our help for FREE, we are not forced to help you, we only do this for love of the craft and will to help fellow pc guys. And you don't make us feel like helping you.

Back to the problem at hand, have you tried reinstalling steam?

I think it downloads comoressed files and uncompresses them on the fly, but still shouldn't probably get to 100% for too long.
Take a look at your Task Manager. The Proceesses tab will give you a quick summery of what programs/services/etc are using what percentage of CPU. From there you should be able to see whats pegging the CPU at 100%. For a more detailed view you can go in to the Resource Monitor.

makugx

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Yes, this is why I'm saying it's STEAM downloading/installing games.
it's at 120k resources or so.
Chrome with 2 tabs open was at 200k.
Made no sense.

There was nothing else consuming it.

makugx

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

No one answered. You didn't help. you came to advertise you're butthurt.

Point made and so far no one's proven me wrong.
Unless I asked something that isn't very clear, which I hardly doubt, there's not much going on in this forum.

Just because YOU didn't get an answer doesn't mean that the other hundred of questilns asked here are not being answered. And your attitude is enough for most people to not want to reply, and most likely the only replies you will get now are complaining about your comments. Not really helping yourself with that spoiled comment. We are offering you our help for FREE, we are not forced to help you, we only do this for love of the craft and will to help fellow pc guys. And you don't make us feel like helping you.

Back to the problem at hand, have you tried reinstalling steam?

I think it downloads comoressed files and uncompresses them on the fly, but still shouldn't probably get to 100% for too long.

Solution

makugx

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
that would be the case. Help for free....but...there was no help. There was nothing. and that's all I'm stating. to me, the experience, was none.

So, let me ask you something, YOU came here, you saw the first post

"Greetings,

I just reinstalled a fresh windows 7 ultimate 64
8GB ram
390 ati
750 psu
850 evo samsung ssd

and noticed the cpu usage when downloading any game, as tiny as they may be, was 100% and stuck up there going up and down a little bit but mostly stuck on 100%.

It's concerning.

Thank you for your help."

and you immediately felt like I'm not making anyone want to help me?
you're offended by this post? it has attitude?
cuz honestly, I fail to see this. Perhaps I'm wrong. Please enlighten me.

So something must be wrong.

Thanks for the answer.

TRENDING THREADS