Question Why is my cpu overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2022
I bought my pc like a year ago. Overheating started couple days ago. i noticed it while playing pubg and i had low fps in game all the time. Since then it overheates while playing basically any game. cpu temp raises up to 100c when playing for example pubg. Im not very good with pcs, i hope someone can help me.

Specs:
intel i5-6600k
nvidia geforce gtx 1660ti
ram 16gb ddr4
cooling system: silverstone PF240-ARGB V2, AIO

kanewolf

Titan
I bought my pc like a year ago. Overheating started couple days ago. i noticed it while playing pubg and i had low fps in game all the time. Since then it overheates while playing basically any game. cpu temp raises up to 100c when playing for example pubg. Im not very good with pcs, i hope someone can help me.

Specs:
intel i5-6600k
nvidia geforce gtx 1660ti
ram 16gb ddr4
cooling system: silverstone PF240-ARGB V2, AIO
The most common things are
  • Bad contact with the CPU
  • Unplugged pump
  • Failed pump
Is the pump still secure to the CPU?
Are the two cooling lines different temperatures to the touch? Does the pump show as running in the management software ?

Nov 15, 2022
How do you have the cooler positioned in the case? Have you touched the outgoing and incoming tubes from/to the cooler radiator at the pump? Is one warm and one cool or both warm or both cool when using the computer?
When i touch the tubes i feel like the other one is slightly cooler than the other one. I have cleared the pc from dust and reapplied thermal paste and remounted the cooler but nothing seems to work. Here is a pic of my pc there you can see how the cooler is positioned in the case. When i turn on the pc i can hear the liquid flowing inside the tubes.

View: https://imgur.com/a/0AbfUQC

USAFRet

Titan
When i touch the tubes i feel like the other one is slightly cooler than the other one.
That indicates something is not working right.

At idle, there should be basically NO difference in the skin temperature of the two pipes.
Maybe a 0.2C difference.

The liquid is moving through the system fast enough to reach equilibrium.

At idle:
tnV8c7N.jpg

Under load, 0.5C difference:
SU8BMPp.jpg

With the computer running, (careful of your fingers with the radiator fans) take the radiator and hold it higher than the pump on your cpu,. Then tilt it over and over as much as the tubes will allow several times. If the tube length will allow place the radiator on top of your case or place it on something that allows the radiator to remain higher than the cpu. Use your computer for at least 20 minutes, run a benchmark on a game if you have one. See if the temps lower in that configuration. My guess/s would be you have air trapped in the pump and it is not allowing enough liquid in to carry away the heat because the radiator is lower than the pump. That is why I originally asked where the radiator is located. If this does not solve the problem, then my next guess would be the impeller in the pump is broken.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You said, "When i turn on the pc i can hear the liquid flowing inside the tubes ." I think that's a clue. On most AIO systems you can NOT hear the fluid flowing, or VERY little sound from that. IF you hear noises it may well mean your system has lost a bunch of the liquid and the loop has air bubbles. This can slow down or even stop the flow of liquid, so no cooling happens. IF that is your situation, there is no way to refill the liquid loop, and the AIO system needs replacement. To be sure about that, call Tech Support for that Siverstone AIO and discuss your problem with then. Look up your date of purchase and warranty terms in case this failure is covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.