[SOLVED] Why is my cpu so hot?

Aug 23, 2020
Hey everyone, I attached my Prime95 small FFTs results while on 4.1 GHz 1,15 Volts and my CPU temps reached 101 degrees then I immediately restarted the PC so that my CPU doesn't get damaged. But I did not understand why I got such high temperatures on 1,15 Volts I mean yeah the Wraith Stealth is bad but I think this is abnormal. Is there an issue with my CPU or something? Could anyone help? Thanks. (my cpu is R5 3600)

https://www.linkpicture.com/view.php?img=LPic5f42bd40c318a1062492202

Solution
Prime95 small fft is only to test thermal compliance. Its not supposed to replicate a normal heavy workload on your pc.

Running Prime95 small FFT on stock cooler will ALWAYS result in very high temps.

Ive went through 2 Ryzen cpus (2600, now the 3800x) They both hit over 100c on Prime95 stock cooler with OC. (and even without OC).

I bought a Sycthe Mugen 5 rev. B air cooler. Its beefy asf and 100$ aios only, on average, keep temps about 4c cooler than a air cooler of this size. And it was only 60$.

Now on Prime95 I hit about 91c max with the new cooler. Which is still way to high but like I said, Prime95 is a thermal compliance test when using Small fft on the cpu. Its the absolute worse case scenario. However anything you do day...

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
On a first glance seems like badly mounted cooler or tp applied incorrectly. Remove the cooler, clean it and cpu, re-apply thermal paste and run the test again. In case of same situation revert oc back to stock, run test and see do temps levels reach that altitude then too.What case are you using, maybe you have no airflow or bad airflow.

Hey everyone, I attached my Prime95 small FFTs results while on 4.1 GHz 1,15 Volts and my CPU temps reached 101 degrees then I immediately restarted the PC so that my CPU doesn't get damaged. But I did not understand why I got such high temperatures on 1,15 Volts I mean yeah the Wraith Stealth is bad but I think this is abnormal. Is there an issue with my CPU or something? Could anyone help? Thanks. (my cpu is R5 3600)

Prime95 and the stock cooler is not a good idea. On my system, it gets up to 89 degrees C after 5 minutes or so and that is with 5x 140mm case fans. I think the stock cooler is only meant for normal usage, not for benchmarking, mining, or distributed computing workloads.

Aug 23, 2020
Prime95 and the stock cooler is not a good idea. On my system, it gets up to 89 degrees C after 5 minutes or so and that is with 5x 140mm case fans. I think the stock cooler is only meant for normal usage, not for benchmarking, mining, or distributed computing workloads.
Alright if I don't do Prime95 then and use my CPU at 1,15V and 4.1 GHz for just gaming will it get extremely hot? What I am asking is if 1.15V and Stock cooler a good combo for gaming?

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Oh my goodness 101c is a big disaster I haven't heard a obscene C temp like that and still playable or not crash rather you must intervene and reboot and what not. First things first do not run Prime95 as it is a synthetic test or stress test and it will only do harm then good. There are no real world apps that stress your CPU the way Prime95 does. Always except temps 5 to 20c higher on a given system when ran, compared to a Aida64 stress test which is a more reputable app and what not. Also gaming temps on a wraite prism with that CPU letting DOCP do it's thing is like 60 to 75c. So in actually your full stress temp is really 85 to 90c which is not good, unless you manually overvolted which you didn't. The only thing is that you didnt proper tightly screw in the HSF and the contect is not full and also you might have applied paste incorrectly as written above. I would check the mounting and tighten it or better yet dismantle it and simply clean the heastink plate and the CPU plate with alcohol and cotton then re apply thermal paste something like a MX-5 and put a little in the middle and spread is out with the packet or paste pen not too much but not to little. Then mount your wraith prism on it and tightley screw it without chipping the motherboard. Then try a Aida64 stress test and get back to us. 😷✝💯

Aug 23, 2020
Oh my goodness 101c is a big disaster I haven't heard a obscene C temp like that and still playable or not crash rather you must intervene and reboot and what not. First things first do not run Prime95 as it is a synthetic test or stress test and it will only do harm then good. There are no real world apps that stress your CPU the way Prime95 does. Always except temps 5 to 20c higher on a given system when ran, compared to a Aida64 stress test which is a more reputable app and what not. Also gaming temps on a wraite prism with that CPU letting DOCP do it's thing is like 60 to 75c. So in actually your full stress temp is really 85 to 90c which is not good, unless you manually overvolted which you didn't. The only thing is that you didnt proper tightly screw in the HSF and the contect is not full and also you might have applied paste incorrectly as written above. I would check the mounting and tighten it or better yet dismantle it and simply clean the heastink plate and the CPU plate with alcohol and cotton then re apply thermal paste something like a MX-5 and put a little in the middle and spread is out with the packet or paste pen not too much but not to little. Then mount your wraith prism on it and tightley screw it without chipping the motherboard. Then try a Aida64 stress test and get back to us. 😷✝💯
Im pretty sure the cooler is firm so Im not going to check that. Btw the overclock was manual I set it to 1.15 volts and 4.1 GHz myself. Im going to try Cinebench R20 and see my temps there if it doesnt go above 80 ill just use it with this overclock sound good right?

rdhaval01

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020

Just put your pc in power saver mode before starting a game. This will reduce the load on cpu and it will be constantly at 2200mhz. My ryzen 5 3600 temps were reaching as high as 85-90c while gaming. I tried this power saver mode option and it worked for me. Now the cpu temps never reaches above 65-70 while gaming. Also, I did not notice any major performance difference when running my pc on power saver mode. BTW I am using stock cooler. U can try this option, it may also work for u.

Not sure what DOCP has to do with CPU temps. I believe you meant to type PBO.

Am I right in saying you have an all core OC, the Wraith is never going to be able to maitain temps with an all core OC in Prime, the 3600 will not bottleneck your 2080s in any meaningful manner even at stock settings. If you do wish to OC all core then I would highly recommend getting a better aftermarket cooler. At 1080p or even 1440p you will not need to worry about a bottleneck.

Just put your pc in power saver mode before starting a game. This will reduce the load on cpu and it will be constantly at 2200mhz. My ryzen 5 3600 temps were reaching as high as 85-90c while gaming. I tried this power saver mode option and it worked for me. Now the cpu temps never reaches above 65-70 while gaming. Also, I did not notice any major performance difference when running my pc on power saver mode. BTW I am using stock cooler. U can try this option, it may also work for u.

Just wondering why you would do an OC and then limit the power consumption to negate gains the said OC was meant to bring.....

Aug 23, 2020
Am I right in saying you have an all core OC, the Wraith is never going to be able to maitain temps with an all core OC in Prime, the 3600 will not bottleneck your 2080s in any meaningful manner even at stock settings. If you do wish to OC all core then I would highly recommend getting a better aftermarket cooler. At 1080p or even 1440p you will not need to worry about a bottleneck.

Just wondering why you would do an OC and then limit the power consumption to negate gains the said OC was meant to bring.....
I think something happened to my CPU before I did the prime95 test I had never stressed my cpu that much. On 3.6 GHz I was reaching 60-70 temps in games now I get like 79 degrees while gaming on 3.6 GHz may I have broke something due to the prime95 being very intense?

Last edited:
Prime95 small fft is only to test thermal compliance. Its not supposed to replicate a normal heavy workload on your pc.

Running Prime95 small FFT on stock cooler will ALWAYS result in very high temps.

Ive went through 2 Ryzen cpus (2600, now the 3800x) They both hit over 100c on Prime95 stock cooler with OC. (and even without OC).

I bought a Sycthe Mugen 5 rev. B air cooler. Its beefy asf and 100$ aios only, on average, keep temps about 4c cooler than a air cooler of this size. And it was only 60$.

Now on Prime95 I hit about 91c max with the new cooler. Which is still way to high but like I said, Prime95 is a thermal compliance test when using Small fft on the cpu. Its the absolute worse case scenario. However anything you do day to day on your PC would NEVER push the CPU the way that 1 specific test does.

As long as your CPU during your normal heavy tasks is staying 85c or below your fine. Yes 85c is still a bit high, however it wont do any long term damage to the cpu. Although it will make your fans run harder which will cause more noise and can bring them to failure.. sooner. Oh and also PBO only works up until 70c, so if your always running over 70c, PBO will not be working. Normal core boost will work, but not PBO.

I would suggest a cooler upgrade as soon as you can if you want to be overclocking.

Last edited:
Solution