[SOLVED] Why is my CPU Temp at 100°C right when I turn on my game?

Jul 31, 2020
When my computer is at idle, my CPU temps are in the mid 50s. Once I turn on my game (MW to be exact) my temps immediately shoot up to 100°C. I am not overclocking and all of my parts are brand new. I had to take my CPU cooler off once so the thermal paste may have moved some, but I do not think a lack of thermal paste would cause a temp increase of that size. When I feel the tubes from my radiator and can feel water running in them. My radiator is placed on the front (could not get it to fit anywhere else). I have 2 top fans going in, 1 on the back going out and then my 240mm radiator is blowing heat out as well.
Help Please!

System set up:
CPU: Intel i5-10660k
MOB: MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WIFI LGA 1200
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML240L RGB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 3200 MHz
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT
PSU: EVGA 650 BS 80+ Bronze
MEM: Intel 660 512 Gb NVMe
Case: DIYPC Vision II

Solution
I agree with the others in this thread that your CPU cooler isn't working right, either due to an incomplete thermal compound mate of the heat exchange surface to the CPU, lack of the cooler being screwed down, or something on your cooling rig is not functioning. If it is on water that could be a number of things. But let me elaborate a little bit about the heat up. All modern CPUs have the ability to turn up and down core clock speeds dynamically. When your CPU is idle it will turn itself way down and your CPU will run cooler and pull less power. When it loads up, like with a video game, it will automatically boost itself until it hits its thermal ceiling or maximum clock. That is why when you run the game it jumps almost...
Jul 31, 2020
Does it make sense that the temps would shoot up that high in a matter of seconds? To me, even if thermal paste was on there perfectly, the temps should not shoot up that high. Is that the right assumption??

USAFRet

Titan
Does it make sense that the temps would shoot up that high in a matter of seconds? To me, even if thermal paste was on there perfectly, the temps should not shoot up that high. Is that the right assumption??
If the cooler block is not firmly locked down on all 4 corners, it can do that.
If the thermal paste is lacking or "not right", it can do that.

"I had to take my CPU cooler off once so the thermal paste may have moved some, "
Yeah, you need to take it OFF, clean both surfaces completely, and reapply new paste.

jasonf2

Distinguished
I agree with the others in this thread that your CPU cooler isn't working right, either due to an incomplete thermal compound mate of the heat exchange surface to the CPU, lack of the cooler being screwed down, or something on your cooling rig is not functioning. If it is on water that could be a number of things. But let me elaborate a little bit about the heat up. All modern CPUs have the ability to turn up and down core clock speeds dynamically. When your CPU is idle it will turn itself way down and your CPU will run cooler and pull less power. When it loads up, like with a video game, it will automatically boost itself until it hits its thermal ceiling or maximum clock. That is why when you run the game it jumps almost instantly to 100C and when you shut the game off it will settle back down. If your cooler were working right it would still rise, just probably not quite that high.

Reactions: BMx197Au
Solution