[SOLVED] why is my cpu temp unstable

May 14, 2020
so i have a lenovo g50-80 laptop and i had it since like 2015 so recently i started playing on it again and i noticed the cpu temps were higher than before and i did everything software wise from underclocking and limiting cpu usage but my idle temps are still 50c on average

so i decided it needed some cleaning and a new thermal paste. i bought a corsair tm30 and applied it to my processor and gpu chipset. it boots successfully but i noticed the idle temps are higher and even unstable ranging from 40 to 70.

here's what i think might of happened:
i applied too much paste
i didnt screw in the heatsink correctly

if any of you guys have the same problems and found a fix please tell me

note this is my first time doing it

Solution
there was numbers on the mount that i need to follow in order to tighten it correctly, i did that and thighten it snugly, but i did not overthighten it as the board flexes when i do that and i dont want to strip my screws. but i thighten it sufficently. i do remember watching a video where a guy bent his heatsink mount ever so slightly to get better contact on the chip. i might try that if the cpu temp does not stablize within 12 hours
It sounds like you mounted it correctly.
I find Afterburner has always worked well for me but I also use HWInfo....so you could try that.
so i have a lenovo g50-80 laptop and i had it since like 2015 so recently i started playing on it again and i noticed the cpu temps were higher than before and i did everything software wise from underclocking and limiting cpu usage but my idle temps are still 50c on average

so i decided it needed some cleaning and a new thermal paste. i bought a corsair tm30 and applied it to my processor and gpu chipset. it boots successfully but i noticed the idle temps are higher and even unstable ranging from 40 to 70.

i applied too much paste

Too much paste isn't going to cause it to run hot if the heat sink is installed correctly....but too much paste will ooze out the sides and get all over everything....so obviously you don't want that....

...but I would be focusing more on the heat sink mount.....is it snug?!

Reactions: Phaaze88
May 14, 2020
Too much paste isn't going to cause it to run hot if the heat sink is installed correctly....but too much paste will ooze out the sides and get all over everything....so obviously you don't want that....

...but I would be focusing more on the heat sink mount.....is it snug?!
there was numbers on the mount that i need to follow in order to tighten it correctly, i did that and thighten it snugly, but i did not overthighten it as the board flexes when i do that and i dont want to strip my screws. but i thighten it sufficently. i do remember watching a video where a guy bent his heatsink mount ever so slightly to get better contact on the chip. i might try that if the cpu temp does not stablize within 12 hours

May 14, 2020

i applied too much paste

also one more thing the air that comes out of my laptop is really cold. like room tempature cold. its not hot to touch like my laptop before i applied the new thermal paste in. im starting to think this is a software thing because there is no way that a night and day change to the touch is not sufficent for the software to read. i use msi afterburner to record my temps. are there any other software that is more reliable that can record my cpu and gpu temps?

It sounds like you mounted it correctly.
I find Afterburner has always worked well for me but I also use HWInfo....so you could try that.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS