Question Why is my cpu thermal throttling so easy

Dustin Jacocks

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Hi, I've got an i7 4790k, asrock z97 extreme 4 board, with a cooler master hyper evo 212 black edition cpu cooler and I'm experiencing some nasty thermal throttling and its beyond me on why. My settings are all set to stock. When I try and go run a test in cinebench the 1st core reaches to 100c, 2ns core about 95. 3rd core about 85 and 4th core about 70c. I reapplied thermal paste and reseated the cooler. Idle temps are about 30 to 35. This is a pc I'm selling so I dont want to sell it when it gets hot like this. If anybody has an clue on why, it would be great.

Hi, I've got an i7 4790k, asrock z97 extreme 4 board, with a cooler master hyper evo 212 black edition cpu cooler and I'm experiencing some nasty thermal throttling and its beyond me on why. My settings are all set to stock. When I try and go run a test in cinebench the 1st core reaches to 100c, 2ns core about 95. 3rd core about 85 and 4th core about 70c. I reapplied thermal paste and reseated the cooler. Idle temps are about 30 to 35. This is a pc I'm selling so I dont want to sell it when it gets hot like this. If anybody has an clue on why, it would be great.

That is weird, what voltages is the chip running at? Also is the cpu actually throttling down clocks or just reporting high temps? I have run into faulty temp sensors in the past....

Reactions: RodroX

Dustin Jacocks

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
That is weird, what voltages is the chip running at? Also is the cpu actually throttling down clocks or just reporting high temps? I have run into faulty temp sensors in the past....
The voltages were set at stock I believe 1.25. And yes it was throttling down a bit. I had it set to 4.4ghz and it throttled down to 4.1. I set the voltages to 1.125 and it ran about 92 on core 1, 83 on core 2, 78 core 3 and 65 on core 4. It also stayed on 4.2 ghz (changed it to 4.2) and it didn't throttle down. Maybe I just have a <Mod Edit> 4790k? Was thinking about delidding but I'm trying to sell this pc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The voltages were set at stock I believe 1.25. And yes it was throttling down a bit. I had it set to 4.4ghz and it throttled down to 4.1. I set the voltages to 1.125 and it ran about 92 on core 1, 83 on core 2, 78 core 3 and 65 on core 4. It also stayed on 4.2 ghz (changed it to 4.2) and it didn't throttle down. Maybe I just have a <Mod Edit> 4790k? Was thinking about delidding but I'm trying to sell this pc.

Hmm it does sound like the chip is the problem, is this a second hand part you picked up? I wonder if it was heavily overclocked in the past and it's not in the best condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kinda thinking the same thing. It is a 2nd hand chip.

I'm not sure what to suggest other than replace the chip (or as a last ditch you could try delidding it).

If you need a replacement cpu that doesn't cost to much, I can recommend the Xeon E3 v3 processors, the 1230 v3, 1240 v3 and 1280 v3 are all essentially i7's but cost quite a bit less than a replacement i7 4790k would cost you. They aren't clocked quite as high but should still be fast enough for most uses (I had a machine based on the 1230 v3 for ages, really nice cpu).

Dustin Jacocks

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
I'm not sure what to suggest other than replace the chip (or as a last ditch you could try delidding it).

If you need a replacement cpu that doesn't cost to much, I can recommend the Xeon E3 v3 processors, the 1230 v3, 1240 v3 and 1280 v3 are all essentially i7's but cost quite a bit less than a replacement i7 4790k would cost you. They aren't clocked quite as high but should still be fast enough for most uses (I had a machine based on the 1230 v3 for ages, really nice cpu).
Well the computer is trying to be sold. How is the overclocking on the xeon 1280v3?