[SOLVED] Why is my CPU under preforming?

Aug 9, 2019
I recently got a new motherboard that has an 8 pin cpu power connector. My PSU only has a 4 pin power connector so I just plugged it into the 8 pin connector. I don't know if this is the cause, but now my CPU temperatures are much higher than before and it is being utilized much more than it used to. Should I lower the voltages because of the different cpu connectors or is it a different problem?

I have already re applied thermal paste and updated the drivers.

MSI zh77a-g43
i7 3770
Radeon RX 570

Aug 2, 2019
You can't just plug in a 4 pin into an 8 pin. Each pin carries a different voltage for powering diff things on the board. I'm surprised it even turned on. I would stop using it you may do damage to your equipment.

You can't just plug in a 4 pin into an 8 pin. Each pin carries a different voltage for powering diff things on the board. I'm surprised it even turned on. I would stop using it you may do damage to your equipment.
Not true, there is only one voltage involved 12v 4/8 wires and contacts with +12vdc and 4/8 ground contacts wires. They are multiplied so PSU can deliver more power to MB without making wires and contacts too big.
In some cases itcan work with only half of the lines connected but VRM will compensate for lack of power by raising voltage and that means more heat.

Reactions: reaper12474
Aug 7, 2019
I recently got a new motherboard that has an 8 pin cpu power connector. My PSU only has a 4 pin power connector so I just plugged it into the 8 pin connector. I don't know if this is the cause, but now my CPU temperatures are much higher than before and it is being utilized much more than it used to. Should I lower the voltages because of the different cpu connectors or is it a different problem?

I have already re applied thermal paste and updated the drivers.

MSI zh77a-g43
i7 3770
Radeon RX 570
If your worried use a molex to 8 pin adapter

Aug 2, 2019
Even with an adapter you would still run into the same problem. Count Mike was right and I knew what they said, but plugging in a 4 pin to an 8 is easy to potentially plug in to the wrong pins. Your original problem is you psu cannot supply enough power through a 4 pin. That's why I said you should by a new psu. You can get one new for $45 to $70. or if you want you can try ebay and get used.