Why is my CPU voltage so low?

DeegansTroop

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Hey everyone, just getting my computer going and Im running CPU-Z and a few other programs to check out my voltages and clock speeds and everything looks normal so far but my cpu core voltage is .928 volts. After looking around I found that most ppl had a standard voltage of around 1.2v. Is this a good thing, bad thing? Im not sure what to make of it. Any suggestions?

System Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (not overclocked)
CPU Cooler: Ultra Chil-tek thermal-electric cooler
Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Memory: Corsair i7 Dominator 6 x 2048mb DDR3 PC12800
Video Cards: Two EVGA GTX285 F.T.W. edition in SLI with standard ASUS bridge
Power Supply: Ultra X3 1600w power supply (I have it running 1200w currently)
Case: Cooler-Master HAF932 w/ stock fan setup
Additional: NZXT Fan Controller, LG DVD-RW, Seagate SATA 1.5tb HDD, and I also have the 22" Viewsonic 120mhz 3d Monitor running at 1680x1050
My OS is Windows 7 64bit RC

cjl

Splendid
Lower voltage is always good. As long as it's not crashing or anything like that, I would not worry about it at all. With that voltage though, I bet you're talking about idle voltage. Load up the CPU with something like Prime95 and I bet the voltage will climb to 1.1V or higher.

revan89

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
that could possibly mean u can actually sell ur cpu for a damn good price.

great potential for overclocking, but if u are not an enthusiast, perhaps u wanna sell it? u can earn lots

DeegansTroop

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Wow thanks for all the feedback guys, Cjl was right on, when I load the cpu it jumps up to the 1.1v mark. Overclocking is where i want to go with this I was thinking about going to the 3.3mhz or 3.6 mark but maybe Ill give the 4.0mhz a try.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Those are the Cstate and Speedstep features. They reduce voltage and cpu multiplier. You'd want to turn those features off anyways if you plan on going for hi overclocks.

The Core i7 CPU asks the motherboard for the voltage level it needs according to whatever load it's currently under. When lightly loaded it requests less than 1 volt, but when the load picks up it will request up to 1.25V or so.