Question Why is my custom PC is still not starting up?

Feb 22, 2022
I just installed the Thermaltake Smart 700w PSU into my custom PC, and when I turned it on, there is still no start up screen. Everything is running, the PSU and the fans. Could it be the Thermaltake Versa N27 ATX mid tower case itself that does not allow to start up, or do I have to get an ATX-sized motherboard?

What are your FULL hardware specifications including exact model numbers for the CPU, motherboard, memory kit, graphics card, power supply and storage devices?

What type of display output are you using and where is it plugged in? If you have a graphics card installed but your display cable is plugged into the motherboard, it's not likely going to work.

If you have your display cable plugged into the motherboard but you have a CPU that does not have integrated graphics, it's likely not going to work.

There are ways for using the graphics card through the motherboard video output in special situations but it requires there to be integrated graphics present. Not that that is what you are trying to do.

Feb 22, 2022
What are your FULL hardware specifications including exact model numbers for the CPU, motherboard, memory kit, graphics card, power supply and storage devices?

What type of display output are you using and where is it plugged in? If you have a graphics card installed but your display cable is plugged into the motherboard, it's not likely going to work.

If you have your display cable plugged into the motherboard but you have a CPU that does not have integrated graphics, it's likely not going to work.

There are ways for using the graphics card through the motherboard video output in special situations but it requires there to be integrated graphics present. Not that that is what you are trying to do.
Here are the specifications for my custom PC:

CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 4500 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

Motherboard
MSI A320M-A PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2133 CL15 Memory

HDD
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Case
Thermaltake Versa N27 ATX Mid Tower Case

PSU
Thermaltake Smart 700 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

I plugged the HDMI cable to the motherboard and I do not have a graphics card installed.

You MUST install a graphics card. That CPU does NOT have integrated graphics. Or, you must use a different CPU that does. For your configuration, those would be Ryzen CPUs that end in "G" like the 5600G, 5700G, 3200G, 3400G, etc.

Without a different CPU or a graphics card, you will never have any display.

Reactions: CountMike
Feb 22, 2022
You MUST install a graphics card. That CPU does NOT have integrated graphics. Or, you must use a different CPU that does. For your configuration, those would be Ryzen CPUs that end in "G" like the 5600G, 5700G, 3200G, 3400G, etc.

Without a different CPU or a graphics card, you will never have any display.
I remembered I have a MSI A320M-A PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard for an AMD Ryzen 3, and I have an AMD Ryzen 5 4500 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor. Maybe that is why there is no start up screen because I do not have an AMD Ryzen 3 CPU.

No, it is because you have a CPU that does not have graphics. It has nothing to do with what family it is. No matter what motherboard you put that CPU into it will never have a display without a graphics card.

No matter what Ryzen CPU you put into that motherboard, it will STILL not have a display if the CPU model does not end in a G. IT MUST END IN A G for any Ryzen CPU prior to the 7000 series to have graphics.

You need a Ryzen CPU that ends in G or a graphics card. Period.

It has nothing at all to do with whether it is a Ryzen 3, or 5, or 7, or 9, or Athlon. Your motherboard supports the CPU you have just fine, it simply does not have graphics. BUT, it is ALSO possible that if your motherboard has a BIOS version older than 7C51v16 it ALSO will not support your CPU without updating the BIOS first. However, that has nothing at all to do with not having a display.

You may have to do both, update the BIOS AND install a graphics card, or simply install a 3000 series CPU that ends in G like the 3200G or 3400G.

Feb 22, 2022
No, it is because you have a CPU that does not have graphics. It has nothing to do with what family it is. No matter what motherboard you put that CPU into it will never have a display without a graphics card.

No matter what Ryzen CPU you put into that motherboard, it will STILL not have a display if the CPU model does not end in a G. IT MUST END IN A G for any Ryzen CPU prior to the 7000 series to have graphics.

You need a Ryzen CPU that ends in G or a graphics card. Period.

It has nothing at all to do with whether it is a Ryzen 3, or 5, or 7, or 9, or Athlon. Your motherboard supports the CPU you have just fine, it simply does not have graphics. BUT, it is ALSO possible that if your motherboard has a BIOS version older than 7C51v16 it ALSO will not support your CPU without updating the BIOS first. However, that has nothing at all to do with not having a display.

You may have to do both, update the BIOS AND install a graphics card, or simply install a 3000 series CPU that ends in G like the 3200G or 3400G.
Okay, I understand now.

Emoji_Thumbs_up_001.png

TRENDING THREADS