[SOLVED] Why is my download capped?

Oct 13, 2021
I used to have 17 MBPS download on steam now it is capped at 3.7. Any way to check and solve it (my internet speed pretty much doesn't change since I use LAN cable)?

Solution
Your ISP and speed tests measure by mbps steam downloads by MB 17mbps is 2.125MB/s

I just updated a game on steam and it pulled 52.7MB/s which when i do a speed test is 422mbps
Oct 13, 2021
As Faalin hints, let's make sure we know all the facts here. The Mbps from your ISP. The MBps from Steam. Be specific; Mbps and MBps are not the same thing. (Or MB/s and Mb/s)
Please run a test from speedtest.net.
ANd then download something from Steam.

Report actual numbers, making note of b vs B.
yeah, 190mbps on speedtest and 3.7MBPS on steam. I usually get 17+ MBps on steam with that speed

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
yeah, 190mbps on speedtest and 3.7MBPS on steam. I usually get 17+ MBps on steam with that speed

So, you're getting 190 Mbps on Speed Test and 3.7 MBps on Steam? Again, precision is important.

In any case, have you tried changing your download location? Have you checked your throttling settings in Steam? Do you have downloads with any other services you can test?

Steam is very strange at times. It will download updates for a bunch of my games in row, some download at my full internet capacity and other are much slower. My theory has always been the more popular games are given more bandwidth at the steam data centers.

In any case if speedtest number are not affected it is not likely a real network problem. There is either something wrong with the steam client on your pc, or maybe there is a issue between your ISP and the steam data center, or more likely it is steam doing it for reasons they don't want to disclose.