[SOLVED] Why is my download speed capped at 150mb on my PC but on my phone it hits 600mb easily

wolfyasf

Reputable
Feb 4, 2020
I've checked my ethernet cable its set to 1gb and in perfectly fine condition, I've tried different routers its not the routers, I've tried different DNS servers and updated my drivers for ethernet and wireless, I'm so lost I have 1GB download and It gets capped at 100mb-200mb on PC and gets up to 700mb on my Phone, Oh and I've also gone into my internets website to see if it capped my internet on my PC and it did not, We know it's not the internet itself because we get perfectly fine internet on our phones and other devices.

I get 22/MBs when downloading on steam
I get most of the time 22/MBs on the epic games launcher but sometimes it shoots up to 55/MBs
I get 6/MBs on origin
I get 800/KB on any web-browsers

Thanks.

If you have 2 pc in your house you can try a old line mode program called IPERF. It should test the network hardware and the drivers. It is not affected by things like disk, memory or cpu. You should see 900mbps in both directions.

If that works fine the I would try coping a large file between the 2 pc with standard microsoft file shares. You can see the transfer rates as they run in the resource monitor network tab. It likely will be restricted by the disk system but it should still be faster than the 150mbit rates you see.

wolfyasf

Reputable
Feb 4, 2020
If you have 2 pc in your house you can try a old line mode program called IPERF. It should test the network hardware and the drivers. It is not affected by things like disk, memory or cpu. You should see 900mbps in both directions.

If that works fine the I would try coping a large file between the 2 pc with standard microsoft file shares. You can see the transfer rates as they run in the resource monitor network tab. It likely will be restricted by the disk system but it should still be faster than the 150mbit rates you see.
rip I currently do not have 2 pcs in my house that are not being used

It's disabled and I'm currently using a CAT-6 ordered a CAT-8 but don't think it'll help considering ive tried 5 different ethernet cables
You issue is related to either a faulty jack (router or PC), faulty cable, capped internet speed or system settings.
Or you do not have any issues at all, just reading download speeds incorrectly .
Some sites like Steam reports speed in MB/s (Megabytes per second), and some other Mb/s (Megabits per second).
1 MB = 8Mb
So you are getting 176 Mb/s on Steam, up to 440Mb/s on Epic games, 48Mb/s on origin

Check you browser speed with ->https://www.speedtest.net/

Changing to any other category above CAT-5 won't help fix that issue.
CAT-8 could come in two different types RJ45 terminal compatible with your components or non-RJ45 terminal which won't work with your components...furthermore it is limited to 30 meters.

wolfyasf

Reputable
Feb 4, 2020
You issue is related to either a faulty jack (router or PC), faulty cable, capped internet speed or system settings.
Or you do not have any issues at all, just reading download speeds incorrectly .
Some sites like Steam reports speed in MB/s (Megabytes per second), and some other Mb/s (Megabits per second).
1 MB = 8Mb
So you are getting 176 Mb/s on Steam, up to 440Mb/s on Epic games, 48Mb/s on origin

Check you browser speed with ->https://www.speedtest.net/

Changing to any other category above CAT-5 won't help fix that issue.
CAT-8 could come in two different types RJ45 terminal compatible with your components or non-RJ45 terminal which won't work with your components...furthermore it is limited to 30 meters.
I know I'm not reading my speeds wrong, I'll check again tonight to see if something is broken with the pins inside my pc because I also know its not my router since I did a speed test with the same ethernet cable different pc last night and got 700mbps download