[SOLVED] Why is my download speed so slow with 50 megabit intenet.

May 12, 2020
My internet speed is 50 megabit and i found that i should be downloading about 6,5 Mbps a second but when i do download games it download at 1-2 Mbps, 50 megabit is the fastest internet in my area and of my friends who has the same provider downloads 4 Mbps a second (which still isn't as good as it should be but much better)

I have an ethernet cable and the latest drivers

The only reason i can think of is maybe because i have others on the internet all the time from phones and tablets but still 3 users should not make it drop so severely i think.

Any help is appreciated .

Solution
There are 8 bits in a byte. Files on the computer and hard drive space are in bytes. Network speeds are in bits (maybe to make it look bigger for advertising purposes). So your internet speed maximum of 50Mbps (bits) divided by 8 equals 6.25MBps (Bytes).

So the theoretical maximum you'll get is somewhere around 6.25MB. It will vary based on several factors. The quality of your ethernet cable connections and the cable itself. Your router/modem. The DNS server.

I bet your ethernet cable is good since an old Cat5 is good for 100Mb and you are only trying to get 50Mb. Newer cables are good up to 1Gb. It could be your modem and router throttling things or just slow for some reason. If you are using a VPN or different DNS of...

kanewolf

Titan
My internet speed is 50 megabit and i found that i should be downloading about 6,5 Mbps a second but when i do download games it download at 1-2 Mbps, 50 megabit is the fastest internet in my area and of my friends who has the same provider downloads 4 Mbps a second (which still isn't as good as it should be but much better)

I have an ethernet cable and the latest drivers

The only reason i can think of is maybe because i have others on the internet all the time from phones and tablets but still 3 users should not make it drop so severely i think.

Any help is appreciated .
Just to help you communicate, you have a 50Mb/s internet package. That could give you 6MB/s downloads. Downloads are in bytes (big B) and internet packages are listed in bits (little b).
First thing is to verify your 50Mb/s speed with speedtest.net IF that is OK, then check to see if you have an motherboard gaming software loaded or killer network software loaded. Example would be Asus ROG Game First software.
If you have a very full disk you could have download performance issues.
It is also possible that the file source is having problems. Check by downloading an OS version from Microsoft or a Linux distro.

gondo

Distinguished
There are 8 bits in a byte. Files on the computer and hard drive space are in bytes. Network speeds are in bits (maybe to make it look bigger for advertising purposes). So your internet speed maximum of 50Mbps (bits) divided by 8 equals 6.25MBps (Bytes).

So the theoretical maximum you'll get is somewhere around 6.25MB. It will vary based on several factors. The quality of your ethernet cable connections and the cable itself. Your router/modem. The DNS server.

I bet your ethernet cable is good since an old Cat5 is good for 100Mb and you are only trying to get 50Mb. Newer cables are good up to 1Gb. It could be your modem and router throttling things or just slow for some reason. If you are using a VPN or different DNS of some sort that could slow you down. Lastly it could be something in Windows itself. There are viruses, spyware, software conficts that can cause slowdowns.

If you have a phone, tablet, laptop, or other computer test it on your network to rule out the modem/router and to confirm that your internet connection is good. Go to www.speedtest.net and run a test to see how close to 50Mb you are getting. Take your troubleshooting from there. If you get near 50Mb with the speedtest then it's just the particular sites your are downloading from that are uploading at 2Mb.

Last edited:
Solution

kanewolf

Titan

I bet your ethernet cable is good since an old Cat5e is good for 100Mb and you are only trying to get 50Mb. Newer cables are good up to 1Gb. It could be your modem and router throttling things or just slow for some reason. If you are using a VPN or different DNS of some sort that could slow you down. Lastly it could be something in Windows itself. There are viruses, spyware, software conficts that can cause slowdowns.

If you have a phone, tablet, laptop, or other computer test it on your network to rule out the modem/router and to confirm that your internet connection is good. Go to www.speedtest.net and run a test to see how close to 50Mb you are getting. Take your troubleshooting from there. If you get near 50Mb with the speedtest then it's just the particular sites your are downloading from that are uploading at 2Mb.
You are wrong on Cat5e. It is good for gigabit.