Question Why is my ethernet limited to 100 mbps?

Zombehh

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2014
I've been googling around and have been seeing recommendations to go on device manager, your lan driver and change the speed and duplex to 1000 mbps, mine is on auto and 100mbps is the max i can change it too.

I have windows 10
motherboard is Z270X-Gaming K5

kanewolf

Titan
I've been googling around and have been seeing recommendations to go on device manager, your lan driver and change the speed and duplex to 1000 mbps, mine is on auto and 100mbps is the max i can change it too.

I have windows 10
motherboard is Z270X-Gaming K5
99 times out of 100 it is a cable problem. Get a new factory made cat5e or cat6a 100% copper ROUND cable, connected directly to your router.
Your motherboard has a "killer" network adapter. You should make sure you have the latest driver and get rid of all the rest of the killer software.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I hate advice like that suggesting network negotiation speed or lan drivers, is it rarely ever to do with either of them, leave negotiation on auto. If auto is not working then it's something else. Unless having issues with 2.5gbe with gigabit routers then changing negotiation speed might work in that case.

Your issue is more likely network cable or router/switch. If router or switch (if use a switch to extend network to other devices) are gigabit then it's the cable. There's no such thing as cat 7 or higher network cables, if you had one these, they are fake afaik. Your typical cat 5e or 6 is fine.

For gigabit negotiation to work, all 8 wires must be in good condition. If one wire is dodgy negotiation speed drops to megabit which is 4 wires.

Zombehh

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2014
I hate advice like that suggesting network negotiation speed or lan drivers, is it rarely ever to do with either of them, leave negotiation on auto. If auto is not working then it's something else. Unless having issues with 2.5gbe with gigabit routers then changing negotiation speed might work in that case.

Your issue is more likely network cable or router/switch. If router or switch (if use a switch to extend network to other devices) are gigabit then it's the cable. There's no such thing as cat 7 or higher network cables, if you had one these, they are fake afaik. Your typical cat 5e or 6 is fine.

For gigabit negotiation to work, all 8 wires must be in good condition. If one wire is dodgy negotiation speed drops to megabit which is 4 wires.

hmm thank you, might be the router limiting the internet, Cox is <Mod Edit> i bought the cable from walmart and it said it was a gigabit speed so i doubt its a fake

Last edited by a moderator:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
walmart and it said it was a gigabit speed so i doubt its a fake

It is possible an end or both ends of the cable haven't been crimped properly. I've had that happen before. Bought a bunch of cables and a couple weren't crimped properly only doing megabit. Fixed it with a crimping tool.

If you know someone with a crimping tool that does rj45 plugs, would be worth a try. All it does is push contact blades through the wires, one couldn't have made it all the way through. Repress of the crimp and that's it.

Zombehh

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2014
It is possible an end or both ends of the cable haven't been crimped properly. I've had that happen before. Bought a bunch of cables and a couple weren't crimped properly only doing megabit. Fixed it with a crimping tool.

If you know someone with a crimping tool that does rj45 plugs, would be worth a try. All it does is push contact blades through the wires, one couldn't have made it all the way through. Repress of the crimp and that's it.

bro i literally just switched the cable to another another lan input in the router and it got rid of the limit!!!