[SOLVED] Why is my external hard drive making a quiet noise

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016
When ever I unplug my external hard drive, it makes a whining down sound. The hard drive is a 2tb hard drive from one of my laptops (i think it is a WD black). But when I click the "safely eject" button, it doesnt make the sound anymore.

The hard drive is in a hard drive enclosure. it is very cheap, costs about 5 bucks. It has no power off button and cannot use an external power source.

Does this sound mean my drive will fail soon?

Solution
The wind down sound is perfectly normal, presumably you are ejecting the device in windows before unplugging?

It will basically be the disk and spindle "winding down" to a stop when you eject it being as it isn't powered off normally like a shutdown.

A good way of checking the integrity of the drive is to check the SMART status of the drive using something like CrystalDiskInfo or HD Sentinel.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The wind down sound is perfectly normal, presumably you are ejecting the device in windows before unplugging?

It will basically be the disk and spindle "winding down" to a stop when you eject it being as it isn't powered off normally like a shutdown.

A good way of checking the integrity of the drive is to check the SMART status of the drive using something like CrystalDiskInfo or HD Sentinel.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS