[SOLVED] Why is my fiber optic and ethernet connection slow?

Pi-Face

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016
We recently upgraded the house's internet to fiber optic, and on top of that we bought a new TP-Link Archer C60 to make sure we can get the most out of it.

However, since it got installed and we configured the new router, the internet is rather mediocre, definitely not what we expected.

The advertised speed is 10MB/s (I'm from Costa Rica and these speeds are quite normal here) and while loading videos, apps, etc, it works very well, almost instant loading speeds, when downloading data, the speeds are only around 1.2MB/s, even on my computer which i have connected directly through an ethernet cable. Our copper internet performed way better than that. Also, during certain times of the day the internet slows down hard, having up to 30 minutes of very slow connection.

Wondering if this is normal since Ookla Speed Test got an average of 10MB/s, or maybe if it is related to the configuration of the new router that needs to be changed. I don't know much about internet networking, so i'm curious if there is a way i can resolve it.

Any advice is very appreciated! Thanks for reading this far.

Solution
You may be confusing Megabits (Mb) and Megabytes (MB). Internet service is usually specified in Mb. But downloads often show progress in MB. 10Mb/s == 1.25MB/s .