[SOLVED] Why is my Fiber-Optic connection having Coaxial cable?

Dec 7, 2019
Could anybody tell me if Hathway Fiber connections are connected through Coaxial cables and not entirely fiber? Is that okay?

This Coaxial cable came from the hub to home (router).
523nFnB.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
It should be fiber all the way to the router, usually cat-5 after that. Some systems don't have a local fiber infrastructure, just fiber trunks/network, so they'll split at a hub and use co-ax at end-user. This is an advantage over standard co-ax network as co-ax trunks lose bandwidth with more splits/users online.

So much will depend on the company used, and the equipment they use. I happen to have fiber to router, cat-5 after.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It should be fiber all the way to the router, usually cat-5 after that. Some systems don't have a local fiber infrastructure, just fiber trunks/network, so they'll split at a hub and use co-ax at end-user. This is an advantage over standard co-ax network as co-ax trunks lose bandwidth with more splits/users online.

So much will depend on the company used, and the equipment they use. I happen to have fiber to router, cat-5 after.

Reactions: NewUser100
Solution
Dec 7, 2019
I got an update from their support team and a local engineer as well that the area does not have fiber connections in my area at all. Initially, the salesman misinformed and they have fiber in surrounding areas in the city so I thought the technician mistakenly installed the coaxial cable. Bad luck!

Thanks to you all for the clarification!