[SOLVED] Why is my fps low in games for my GPU?

Jul 2, 2020
I recently got a new computer, a dell optiplex 7050.
it has an i7-7700,
32gb ram,
nvidia gt 710 2gb vram

I totally understand that my gpu is very underpowered and bottlenecking my system, however, I should still get full use out of it right? I run games like stranded deep which 2gb of vram should be plently to run decent fps but even on the lowest graphics settings I get about 15 fps. Task manager says im using 100% of my gpu. am I missing something here? do I have to match my cpu with a better gpu to run games?

Solution
The GT710 is not a gaming GPU, and you are getting what is to be expected from it. VRAM is irrelevant when the processing power of the GPU is only marginally better then Intel Integrated graphics.

If you have a slim form factor Optiplex then the only real upgrade would be a Low Profile GTX1050 or Low Profile GTX1050ti depending on what your power supply is.
The GT710 is not a gaming GPU, and you are getting what is to be expected from it. VRAM is irrelevant when the processing power of the GPU is only marginally better then Intel Integrated graphics.

If you have a slim form factor Optiplex then the only real upgrade would be a Low Profile GTX1050 or Low Profile GTX1050ti depending on what your power supply is.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

popatim

Titan
Your GPU is at 100%, you cant get more "Full use" then that.

If you're on a budget then a low profile gtx750ti would suffice. Your Stranded game recommends a GTX660 which this is approximately equivalent to.

If you have a bigger budget the gtx1650 is also available in low profile and is about 25% faster then the 1050ti.

DSzymborski

Titan
it has an i7-7700,
32gb ram,
nvidia gt 710 2gb vram

I totally understand that my gpu is very underpowered and bottlenecking my system, however, I should still get full use out of it right? I run games like stranded deep which 2gb of vram should be plently to run decent fps but even on the lowest graphics settings I get about 15 fps. Task manager says im using 100% of my gpu. am I missing something here? do I have to match my cpu with a better gpu to run games?

It's a non-gaming GPU and you're below their minimums. 2 GB of VRAM simply refers to the size of the buffer; it has little to do with the actual power of the card. It's like using gas tank size to determine if your car can tow a trailer.

Jul 2, 2020
Ok so my graphics card simply isn't powerful enough. What still has me confused is that before this computer I had an old dell precision t7500 which I had this GPU in. it had a dual core processor, 12gb of ram, that computer also had the gt 710 in it and ran games much better. I don't why because it should have been a much worse system. In addition, If a new graphics card is the best option I was looking at a gtx 1660, I recognize that I will have to upgrade my power supply in the process and it looks like it will fit in the case, Is this a good option or should I look for something else?

VRAM is irrelevant when the processing power of the GPU is only marginally better then Intel Integrated graphics.
Actually, I believe the i7-7700's integrated HD 630 graphics are a decent amount faster than the GT 710. The first thing I would try would be to take the GT 710 out of the system, plug your monitor directly into the motherboard, and see what performance is like using the integrated graphics. It will still not be great, but I think it should be better. A more modern dedicated card like a GTX 1650 or better would offer multiple times the performance of the integrated HD 630 graphics though.

Ok so my graphics card simply isn't powerful enough.

If a new graphics card is the best option I was looking at a gtx 1660, I recognize that I will have to upgrade my power supply in the process and it looks like it will fit in the case, Is this a good option or should I look for something else?
Which case version is it? There is the mid tower version that has a PSU the size of a standard ATX, a smaller tower that uses an SFF PSU with lower power output than the mid tower and the SFF version that will only fit low profile GPUs and have the same or lower power output of the smaller mid tower. Knowing which case you have will determine what GPU will work with your system.

Your best possible option if you have the 280watt PSU in the mid tower case will be a GTX 1650 (non Super). The best GPU you might be stuck with if it's an SFF case, would probably be a GT 1030. You also can't replace the PSU without an adapter to use a standard ATX or SFF PSU with PCIE cables and higher wattage.