[SOLVED] Why is my FPS So low?

soaringhigh123

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
https://www.newegg.com/abs-computer...ala112/p/N82E16883102723?Item=N82E16883102723

this is the computer I got. It works fine, but it gets really low FPS for some reason. <60 on a lot of games. I saw a youtube video where someone used the same specs as my computer and got a lot higher fps than me on the same settings(more than 100 fps is where I want to be) I played Fortnite(less than 100fps in game) Steel Circus, pubg, apex legends.. My GPU is a nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 ti my processor is a ryzen 7 2700.

My question is: why is my FPS so low. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Well, since this is a purchased unit, you have a couple options.
  • You can contact ABS or Newegg (whoever handles the warranty on those)
  • You can try to fix it yourself.
1. Take the cover off with the machine running and then shut it down.
2. Put a finger on the CPU heatsink. If it is very hot, the CPU fan settings may not be correct. Turn the PC back on and verify that the CPU fan is spinning.
3. If the heatsink is not hot at all, then it likely isn't contacting the CPU correctly. You would need some thermal grease to remove and re-attach the cooler to the CPU. I would recommend searching the web for instructions on installing the heatsink that comes with that CPU (although I am sure plenty of people around here...

soaringhigh123

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
ok see if that helps your fps numbers. Also the bios version is shown in bios when you first start up your computer hold f2 or delete down. It will take you to bios screen. Upper left hand corner usually it will give you bios version #.
my bios right now is at P2.20 (3/2019)
ok see if that helps your fps numbers. Also the bios version is shown in bios when you first start up your computer hold f2 or delete down. It will take you to bios screen. Upper left hand corner usually it will give you bios version #.

soaringhigh123

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
What settings are you using in Fortnite? If set to Ultra I wouldn't expect you to get much over 95 FPS in that game.
What settings are you using in Fortnite? If set to Ultra I wouldn't expect you to get much over 95 FPS in that game.
you wanna know whats funny. im running it on low everything and i can't get past 120fps. I had a different pc that i had to return and it had a worse gpu.... i got up to 200fps. It just crashed a lot.

If you have vsync on, 120 is as high as you are going to get. One easy way to verify would be to up the quality a bit and verify minimal, if any, FPS loss.

Also, you said "it" is at 95 C. What line is that on? Can you just send a screenshot of HW Monitor while the computer is at some kind of load (a windowed game, for example)?

95C would be too high for either the CPU or GPU, and would result in thermal throttling from whichever component was affected. If it's the CPU, it's possible that the cooler may have not been installed correctly, or got knocked loose during shipping. If those photos of the system are accurate on that product page, it looks like they may be using one of these Zalman coolers rather than the stock AMD cooler...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007B5PSG8

If it's the CPU that's overheating, you might want to make sure the cooler is secure. Were those the temperatures after running a load for a while? What temperatures do you get just idling on the Windows desktop prior to putting the system under load?

Reactions: WildCard999