[SOLVED] Why is my FPS So low?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

soaringhigh123

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
https://www.newegg.com/abs-computer...ala112/p/N82E16883102723?Item=N82E16883102723

this is the computer I got. It works fine, but it gets really low FPS for some reason. <60 on a lot of games. I saw a youtube video where someone used the same specs as my computer and got a lot higher fps than me on the same settings(more than 100 fps is where I want to be) I played Fortnite(less than 100fps in game) Steel Circus, pubg, apex legends.. My GPU is a nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 ti my processor is a ryzen 7 2700.

My question is: why is my FPS so low. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Well, since this is a purchased unit, you have a couple options.
  • You can contact ABS or Newegg (whoever handles the warranty on those)
  • You can try to fix it yourself.
1. Take the cover off with the machine running and then shut it down.
2. Put a finger on the CPU heatsink. If it is very hot, the CPU fan settings may not be correct. Turn the PC back on and verify that the CPU fan is spinning.
3. If the heatsink is not hot at all, then it likely isn't contacting the CPU correctly. You would need some thermal grease to remove and re-attach the cooler to the CPU. I would recommend searching the web for instructions on installing the heatsink that comes with that CPU (although I am sure plenty of people around here...

soaringhigh123

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
If you have vsync on, 120 is as high as you are going to get. One easy way to verify would be to up the quality a bit and verify minimal, if any, FPS loss.

Also, you said "it" is at 95 C. What line is that on? Can you just send a screenshot of HW Monitor while the computer is at some kind of load (a windowed game, for example)?
posted the screenshots. Sorry for the late response.

WildCard999

Titan
95C is way too high for that CPU, at that temp the CPU is thermal throttling to avoid damage which is causing your poor performance. Also I find it odd that there using a Zalman cooler when the stock Wraith cooler works great. Your going to need to remove the cooler, make sure the plastic was removed from the cooler, clean up the thermal paste, reapply it then reset the cooler onto the CPU. Since it's a prebuilt more then likely the cooler came loose during transit and because of that it isn't making good contact with the CPU.

soaringhigh123

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
Question: did you download the latest version of HW Monitor, or is this a version you already had? The latest version should be able to give you temps on each core, which the pics you posted do not.
it says 1.4 is the newest version which is what i have. I probably missed a part because I can't screenshot the whole page.

soaringhigh123

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
Well, if those temps are correct they are the problem, however I suspect they are not. Why? Your CPU shows that is was down to 460 MHz at no load, however the temp line shows that the CPU was only 2 degrees lower than the max number of 95. Also, your video card temps look perfect, and if your CPU were really running that hot, it would most likely be dumping some of that heat onto the video card.

You could give the AMD program a try and see if the numbers are the same:
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

2. Put a finger on the CPU heatsink. If it is very hot, the CPU fan settings may not be correct. Turn the PC back on and verify that the CPU fan is spinning.
3. If the heatsink is not hot at all, then it likely isn't contacting the CPU correctly. You would need some thermal grease to remove and re-attach the cooler to the CPU. I would recommend searching the web for instructions on installing the heatsink that comes with that CPU (although I am sure plenty of people around here could tell you how it installs).

Solution

RLarcosPES2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2014
Get MSI afterburner to test temps ingame.

If they are at 95 while you have alt-tabbed the game or closed it then your CPU is throttling most likely. If that is the case the CPU runs at 1/3 the speed it should be no matter games play like a pc from 2009.

Reactions: soaringhigh123

soaringhigh123

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
3. If the heatsink is not hot at all, then it likely isn't contacting the CPU correctly. You would need some thermal grease to remove and re-attach the cooler to the CPU. I would recommend searching the web for instructions on installing the heatsink that comes with that CPU (although I am sure plenty of people around here could tell you how it installs).
i was thinking t hat i could ask a friend of mine that works with computers for aliving