Question Why is my friends rig performing better than mine? even thought we're basically the same?

Dec 20, 2020
Hello, as said in the title i have a problem of vastly different perfomance on Mostly similar PC's...

Our Rigs:
  • 2070 Super (Palit)
  • I7-4790K (currently base clock on both)
  • ASUS Maximus Ranger VII
  • 500 GB SSD & 2Tb HDD
  • Bequiet 730w
  • 2x8gb ddr3 Ram
  • Noctua NH-D14

ONLY Difference is that he has a 650w & 1TB HDD

Some Games: (same settings of course)
-Cyberpunk 2077: Me 60 FPS (barely) / him 100 FPS
-Shadow of the tomb raider: Me 70FPS / him 100 - 120
-Witcher 3: Me 80 - 85 / him 120+ constant

we haven't gotten to testing more yet and are quite busy... but i'd like to play games with way better FPS the same way he does. What is going on?

*We have the most recent GPU Drivers
*We have the most recent Windows 10 update
*We both played with the same programs open and no "other" Stuff in the background
*Temps areabout the same a little bit cooler for me but not much (example Cyberpunk 2077: GPU at 63°c & CPU at 72°c)
*Both have Kaspersky anti-Virus? idk maybe that helps
*HIS PC IS NEWER in terms of "acquiring date" he build his together 2018 while i built mine in 2015 (about that time) and we both upgraded to a RTX 2070 Super in the same week...
*We tried using each others GPU and nothing changed..

Thank you in advance :)

D

Deleted member 14196

Your systems are not the same if they were not built exactly the same time with exactly the same parts there’s no way that they can be the same

The only way to make an educated guess about why you see less performance would be to have a complete breakdown of all the parts the exact parts in each system

Are you SURE that he has a 4790K?....in 2018.... despite the 4790K launching in 2014?

Do you have your 2 sticks of ram in the proper slots to enable dual channel mode?

Are you both running each game with the same video quality settings? Online/ offline?

Dec 20, 2020
Your systems are not the same if they were not built exactly the same time with exactly the same parts there’s no way that they can be the same

The only way to make an educated guess about why you see less performance would be to have a complete breakdown of all the parts the exact parts in each system

i don't understand.. like i said we have the same specs except for HDD & PSU?

Dec 20, 2020
Are you SURE that he has a 4790K?....in 2018.... despite the 4790K launching in 2014?

Do you have your 2 sticks of ram in the proper slots to enable dual channel mode?

Are you both running each game with the same video quality settings? Online/ offline?

Yes it's a 4790K 100%
Yes we both have them in the same slots to enabledual channel
Yes in online.. we haven't tried offline... should we try? might take a while since we have different schedules + distance

D

Deleted member 14196

I highly doubt they are the same parts from the same lots since they were built years apart. Then there’s the question of drivers and state of your windows to consider.

Even if both machines were built on the same day they could perform differently , a games company say me put similar coments to you on a "steam" posting.
He said all their machines were identical but he could guarantee that some days one of them would decide to act up

Dec 20, 2020
I highly doubt they are the same parts from the same lots since they were built years apart. Then there’s the question of drivers and state of your windows to consider.

Like i mentioned.. Windows is on it's most recent update... just like the other drivers just as GPU, Steam, MSI Afterburner (to see performance) & Kaspersky (for example) i tried cleaning with CCleaner but nothing really changed

Dec 20, 2020
Even if both machines were built on the same day they could perform differently , a games company say me put similar coments to you on a "steam" posting.
He said all their machines were identical but he could guarantee that some days one of them would decide to act up

well... it is quite obvious that my machine is "acting up"... i'm not here for confirmation that something is wrong but to determine it's cause or maybe even find a solution..

Dec 20, 2020
You could do a fresh install of Windows, not sure what else to suggest other than check your temperatures maybe something is thermal throttling

I didn't know what thermal throttling was but apparently it's when your System gets too hot and loses performance?
That should not be the case.
CPU never got higher than 73°C
GPU never got higher than 67°C
I've been monitoring this for quite some time and even during the highest demanding sequences (and just before the frames drop) it always stayed within that range and i don't have it restricted either...

Dec 20, 2020
Sigh....

Go to userbenchmark.com, run the test, link the results here.

Here you go: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37880473

Didn't know this existed... very handy!

Seems like something is wrong with my ram/Bios.... But i am too uninformed to touch the bios in any way.. Only thing ever done there was a IT-Friend of mine updating it in 2018... It still worked well afterwards for those thinking that might be the cause

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
This is a situation that just begs for proper benchmarking, which ensures that settings are the same. 99% of the time when we get this type of question, we spend days on it until the person discovers "oh, I had raytracing on" or "my friend was using a lower scaling % than I was." There are a lot of settings and some can be found on hardware, too.

Reactions: tennis2

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Here you go: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37880473

Didn't know this existed... very handy!

Seems like something is wrong with my ram/Bios.... But i am too uninformed to touch the bios in any way.. Only thing ever done there was a IT-Friend of mine updating it in 2018... It still worked well afterwards for those thinking that might be the cause

I'd probably run MemTest then.