Question why is my fx 8350 throttling down ?

Feb 8, 2019
Build- asus m5a99fx pro
thermaltake smart series 650w psu
fractal focus g
corsair h100i push pull (i also have 2 top and 1 rear exhaust fan. radiator is mounted in front of case)
rtx 2070
16gb ddr3 1600mhz gskill ripjaw
fx 8350 5ghz at 1.45v stable in all stress tests.

im trying to get to 5.1 and/or 5.2 ghz since i cant afford a cpu upgrade but each of those frequencies start to throttle cores down about 4-9mins into cpu z stress test even when i tried going all the way to 1.52 v why is this ?

DavidM012

Distinguished
You're pushing that cpu hard for not being able to afford a replacement. I suggest you run it at a vCore of no more than 1.45 and a temp of no more than 55c max on cpu temp and package temp. There is a bit more margin according to amd overdrive but it sounds like you need to be extra careful.

At 4.6ghz it exceeds the single core and multithreaded performance of the 9590 and without supremest cooling plus max you'll struggle in the 4.8-5.0 range to keep it within a good target temperature. The cooler will cost more than it's worth to overclock that high.

Others have said they got to 5ghz at 55c with a vCore at around 1.45 using a corsair h100 so you should be thinking about turning things down rather than up. There simply isn't anywhere more to go with that cpu.

The thing you can do is use faster memory like 2133 or 2400 and it'll be ok-ish for a while but you might not play every title on the highest settings. Besides that is the put newer gpu in it approach.

You are currently hovering on the margin of close to fryvoltily. That 5.0 to 5.1 gives about 18points gain in a benchmark aka does absolutely nothing significant so there is absolutely no reason to push it that hard.

What you might be able to try at 1.45v is switch off two or four cores and treat it as a 6350 or 4350 and try to get 5.2ghz that way if it doesn't exceed 55c. That will bump single core performance marginally but trim multithreaded, probably not worth bothering with. Tho you might also be able to run it at a lower vCore than 1.45v with some of the cores switched off.

Beyond that, save for upgrade.

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
You also need to wrap your head around the concept of quantity of cpu. The ryzen 5 1400 scores 354 single threaded and 1932 multithreaded at standard speed and voltage on cpu-z compared to

295ish single threaded and 1800ish multithreaded on the fx 8350 overclocked. in the 4.9-5.1 range.

The ryzen 3 2200g is slightly faster than the ryzen 5 1400 for entry level ryzens. So your basic ryzen offers a 20% single thread boost, notwithstanding that faster ddr4 memory will help things along some as well.

The fx8350 simply can't get there. It's nibbling at the heels a little of a ryzen 5 1400 but the 2600's and 2700's are nearly double single threaded score at standard frequency and vCore. If you want more quantity of cpu you will pay for every mhz.