[SOLVED] Why is my GPU fan SPEEDING UP when saving and loading games?

skaz

Distinguished
Hello all,

My GPU: EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 Super (updated drivers)

Sometimes it is both fans, but in my recent testing, 1 of my 2 GPU fans will speed up dramatically when saving and loading games. I've attached an image of a hardware monitor graph, showcasing the moment I loaded a recent save file and the spike in speed. Although the little spike in the red rectangle doesn't look like much, it's a jump from approx. 2k to 4k RPM, an audible difference.

Looking at the graph, what is interesting is the GPU usage, power and temp all drop during this moment.

It happens in various games and sometimes it happens during gameplay too when nothing extraordinary is happening, loading up a trading view panel for example.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Image of Hardware Monitor Graph
ab-hw-monitor-issue.png

Last edited:
Solution
Try the clean install and be sure to do so using the Display driver uninstaller, NOT the Nvidia version of clean install, which is not nearly as thorough. Also, be sure to run the DDU from safe mode to ensure all settings and registry entries get removed.

Then install the latest Nvidia drivers. If that fails to fix the problem, then I'd try a clean install of Windows followed by a fresh installation of the Nvidia drivers. Also, avoid installing any other third party utilities until you determine what the problem is. If you have AI Suite or Armoury crate installed, I'd uninstall them at least for now. They cause all kinds of problems more often than not.

If none of that helps, then it's pretty much got to be a problem with the fan or...

skaz

Distinguished
Does it do it when controlling the fan via afterburner?

Just tested, set to 55%. Still ramped up to about 4k RPM. And funny enough, it also did it every time I was hitting 'save' in AB too while in game.

I noticed the fan speed % isn't matching up with the RPM either. =/. When it ramps up to 4k, the % is staying static.

ab-hw-monitor-issue-2.png

Last edited:
What are your FULL hardware specs?

Have you tried doing a CLEAN install of the Nvidia drivers using the DDU in safe mode?

What is your current motherboard BIOS version?

Have you installed the latest chipset, audio and network adapter drivers that are available on your motherboard's product support page?

skaz

Distinguished
What are your FULL hardware specs?

Have you tried doing a CLEAN install of the Nvidia drivers using the DDU in safe mode?

What is your current motherboard BIOS version?

Have you installed the latest chipset, audio and network adapter drivers that are available on your motherboard's product support page?

Hi, sorry for delay, been busy.

Full Specs
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 10700k
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
  • Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming Z490-Plus
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 CL15
  • Storage (Main Drive): Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280
  • Storage (2nd Drive): Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB SSD
  • Storage (3rd Drive): Samsung 830 256 GB SSD
  • Power Supply: Corsair HX620

Mobo BIOS updated to latest version: 2601.
All Mobo drivers updated from asus website, including chipset, audio and network drivers.

I have not tried a clean install of the Nvidia drivers. I will have to do this and report back.

Try the clean install and be sure to do so using the Display driver uninstaller, NOT the Nvidia version of clean install, which is not nearly as thorough. Also, be sure to run the DDU from safe mode to ensure all settings and registry entries get removed.

Then install the latest Nvidia drivers. If that fails to fix the problem, then I'd try a clean install of Windows followed by a fresh installation of the Nvidia drivers. Also, avoid installing any other third party utilities until you determine what the problem is. If you have AI Suite or Armoury crate installed, I'd uninstall them at least for now. They cause all kinds of problems more often than not.

If none of that helps, then it's pretty much got to be a problem with the fan or the card. Did you buy this card new and if so how long ago? Most EVGA graphics cards bought new have a 3 year warranty.

Solution

skaz

Distinguished
Just giving a quick update incase anyone else stumbles upon this thread in the future. Did a clean install of entire OS, drivers. Also tried some other things per EVGA support (tested different PCI slot, made sure power connectors were secure/connected), monitored the 12v rail. Nothing worked.

Ended up having to RMA the card. EVGA support was awesome. Hope they change their mind about leaving the GPU market. Thanks @Darkbreeze for your help.