Question Why is my GPU fans running so loudly at maximum speed against my will? (Running at 100% when I set it to 60%)

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
Hello all,

I just completed a new build:
Case: Tower 100
Motherboard: Asus Z590i
CPU: i5-11500
GPU: RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Memory: Corsair DDR4 3600Mhz 32Gb
PSU: EVGA 650 watts G5 Gold
Storage: 980 Pro 1TB

When the computer is idle, the fan speeds are normal...
Whenever I start mining, I used either EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner to set the GPU fan speed to 60% but it goes up to 100% against my will. It even goes up to 100% when the GPU is at a low temp like 50'C-55'C:

How to fix GPU to follow my Fan Speed orders? (And stop going to maximum speed on its own?...)

sgnz

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
I know nothing about about your fan % issues. But il comment on your PSU this needs to be changed immediately! To at least an 750w but imo an 850w gold rated psu or 1000w. Using such a low wattage psu on your build could cause components in your system to potentially be damaged.

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
I know nothing about about your fan % issues. But il comment on your PSU this needs to be changed immediately! To at least an 750w but imo an 850w gold rated psu or 1000w. Using such a low wattage psu on your build could cause components in your system to potentially be damaged.
Yeah, I already preordered a 1000 watt Titanium PSU but I will have to wait for it.

Ralston18

Titan
GPU's and CPU's can quickly heat up and shutdown faster than temperature sensors are able to record even for non-mining applications.

Mining is indeed tough on a GPU and the host computer certainly needs the PSU power to run the GPU and all other components. Plus provide power for the necessary cooling fans.

Heat is an enemy of electronics and if you force fan speeds lower (for whatever reasons) the system will not cool, become overheated, and an expensive GPU may literally self-destruct and take other components with it.

Mining systems are by nature going to be hot, noisy, and expensive to begin with.

And any real ROI (Return on Investment) is likely unobtainable.

So do not interfere with or otherwise obstruct the fans' efforts to cool things down.

Otherwise, by the time the new PSU arrives you may find yourself in need of another component or two...

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
Check HWinfo for your memory junction temp. You're probably hitting the throttle temp(110C) and it will just ramp fan speed to 100% regardless of what you set. The EVGA backplate is like paper thin and really doesn't cool the memory on the back at all.