[SOLVED] Why is my gpu getting so hot ?

Jan 23, 2020
Hi everyone 👋🏻

So I recently bought a gpu: MSi RTX 2070 SUPER , and works perfectly fine. But I’m a little worried cause it gets really hot , it has a metal back panel that gets really hot to the touch , and I’m just wondering if it’s actually normal , if it really “ absorbs the heat “ how they say on msi site.

The actual temperature on pc is shown between 60-80 when gaming , and when doin nothing is just 45-50.

My rig

Geforce RTX 2070 super
i7-7700k CPU with 4.20 Hz
24 GB RAM
Motherboard - msi Z270 Gaming M3

Thanks a lot for the help , I appreciate your time put into replying my question 🙇🏻‍♂️

Solution
Yes your temperatures are fine there so nothing to worry about.
It will feel extremely hot due to it being a metal surface that you are touching.
My RTX 2080 ti also has a metal plate like yours which gets very hot but the important thing is the card is running at around 73c so it's not a problem.

Andy

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Yes your temperatures are fine there so nothing to worry about.
It will feel extremely hot due to it being a metal surface that you are touching.
My RTX 2080 ti also has a metal plate like yours which gets very hot but the important thing is the card is running at around 73c so it's not a problem.

Andy

Reactions: Views7835
Solution
Jan 23, 2020
Thanks a lot for the help guys ! I was just a little worried cause it was too hot to the touch, and I’ve never owned a gpu with a metal backplate on it , so I wasn’t really sure why it’s so hot, but now I know cause of you so thanks again!

mjbn1977

Distinguished
The temps seem to be fine. Also the higher idle temps because even so you didn't mention the GPU MSI model, my best guess that your card turns off the fans when temps drop under a certain temperature in order to bei silent in idle. My MSI RTX 2080s idle temps are similar to yours. And in gaming my overclocked card hits usually upper 70s with closed cased and lower 70s with open case.

Reactions: Views7835

mjbn1977

Distinguished
It depends on your room temps and your case cooling.

My 1080Ti doesn't see over 61C fully loaded in a Mastercase H500P Mesh, with a room temp of 24C.

The Ti versions very often run a little cooler due to slightly lower gpu clock rates. They usually much larger chips with many more cuda cores. I believe the 1080Ti runs about 200Mhz slower than the non-Ti 1080, but has about 30% more cuda cores. So it should run a little cooler. With Nvidia the hottest cards are usually the xx80s. His 2070 super is basically a 2080 and the temps seem absolutely normal. I would be concerned until it hits 80+ Celsius.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The Ti versions very often run a little cooler due to slightly lower gpu clock rates. They usually much larger chips with many more cuda cores. I believe the 1080Ti runs about 200Mhz slower than the non-Ti 1080, but has about 30% more cuda cores. So it should run a little cooler.
My card runs 2038mhz before 60C with an overclock... so you're saying a GTX1080 runs around 2238 at the same settings?
My specific 1080Ti has a maximum power limit of 300w. Depending on the exact model of the OP's 2070 Super, it's either 215, 240, or 260w...

His 2070 super is basically a 2080 and the temps seem absolutely normal.
About that: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...&version=&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=
Some of Msi's 2080s have even higher power limits - 285w max.

Pretty sure I have the hotter card.
The OP's 2070 Super should be capable of similar temps. There's either a case cooling issue, or the gpu cooler's design isn't great... perhaps both.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
My card runs 2038mhz before 60C with an overclock... so you're saying a GTX1080 runs around 2238 at the same settings?
My specific 1080Ti has a maximum power limit of 300w. Depending on the exact model of the OP's 2070 Super, it's either 215, 240, or 260w...

About that: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...&version=&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=
Some of Msi's 2080s have even higher power limits - 285w max.

Pretty sure I have the hotter card.
The OP's 2070 Super should be capable of similar temps. There's either a case cooling issue, or the gpu cooler's design isn't great... perhaps both.

You can't compare Pascal to Turing, since Pascal is 14nm and Turing 12nm. But the Nvidia max temp spec of the 1080ti is 91C vs 94C on the 1080.

And yes, Good 1080 chips with good cooling can hit +2200Mhz. you can't hit that with 1080Ti. They usually use the same or similar coolers and that extra heat from the larger die size need to be saved somewhere. And a 100 or 200Mhz less clock speed can go pretty far in terms of heat. See details below:

But the 1080Ti is still the faster card, but not necessarily by clock speed. Its a much larger die made up of many more cuda cores than the 1080. More cuda cores mean more speed than less cuda cores. The non-ti versions usually have higher max boost clock speeds than the Ti versions. The higher power limit is needed to power the higher count of cores. But the higher core count create much more heat at same clock speeds.

How fast a CPU/GPU actually is made up by 3 factors, IPC rate, clockspeed, and how many cores.

In case of the nvidia Ti vs non-Ti models, each core is the same in regards to IPC per core . Therefore, the higher speed of the Ti GPU is archived with more cores which lead to much larger die sizes which run hotter. In order to compensate for the higher power needs and heat built up of the larger die, this will compensated with lower clock speeds. So the factory base and OC clocks of Ti cards are usually slower than those of the non-Ti counterparts. Even so the Ti cards are much faster cards.

When you compare 2080 to 2080Ti: 2080 Ti is about 40% faster than the non-Ti, but it runs with much lower clock speeds than the 2080.

Also, the last 100 or 200Mhz in extra speed create the most heat! The heat curve is not linear!

I hope I was able to explain that.

In Short: Ti version are much faster, but not due to clock speeds. non-Ti models usually can achieve higher clock rates, since its a smaller die that needs less power and cooling.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You can't compare Pascal to Turing, since Pascal is 14nm and Turing 12nm.
I can. Turing is Pascal on a die shrink + RT cores.
You'd think a 'brand new' arch(Turing) would've provided a more significant bump over the previous gen...

Good 1080 chips can hit over 2200Mhz. you can't hit that with 1080Ti.
I'm not seeing that...
https://www.3dmark.com/search#/?mode=basic&url=/proxycon/ajax/search/gpuname/spy/P/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080&gpuName=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080&gpuCount=0

Excluding the ridiculous Kingpin models clocking in at 2400-2500, since they'd be on LN2, I'm seeing some 1080Tis hitting 2100 too.
https://www.3dmark.com/search#/?mode=basic&url=/proxycon/ajax/search/gpuname/spy/P/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti&gpuName=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti&gpuCount=0

When you compare 2080 to 2080Ti: 2080 Ti is about 40% faster than the non-Ti, but it runs with much lower clock speeds than the 2080.
Hoo-boy! I bet 2080Ti owners WISH their gpu was that much faster than the 2080!
https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/nv...3-60ghz/ultra/ultra/-vs-?lang=en&currency=usd
Depending on the application, it's between 5-20%(I rounded to the nearest 5) between the 2. Where the heck are you pulling 40%?!

Much lower clock speeds, you say? Wrong again... 2080Tis:
https://www.3dmark.com/search#/?mode=basic&url=/proxycon/ajax/search/gpuname/spy/P/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti&gpuName=NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti&gpuCount=0

2080s:
https://www.3dmark.com/search#/?mode=basic&url=/proxycon/ajax/search/gpuname/spy/P/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080&gpuName=NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080&gpuCount=0

I hope I was able to explain that easy enough.
From what I was able to find, you actually didn't.

In Short: Ti version are much faster, but not due to clock speeds. non-Ti models usually can achieve higher clock rates, since its a smaller die that needs less power and cooling.
I agree with your first point, but the next 2 are total BS.

Last edited:
Reactions: dotas1