[SOLVED] Why is my GPU having such low framerates?

Mar 31, 2020
I have a MSI 1080 ti that is about 2 1/2 years old and all of a sudden (past week) playing games have been sluggish. When I play COD:MW Warzone at max settings my fps is 45-60 which is way below average and when I change all settings to low it is oddly still playing 45-60 fps. This is also happening to other games, like Terraria where my framerate is 20 fps which shouldn't be happening with a 1080 ti. Now, what I'm suspecting is that the GPU isn't getting enough power (PSU is underperforming) but I want to know what everyone else thinks. Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Solution
1)The PC got flagged for a crap-ton of background usage - 77%! That's way too high, and would eat into cpu resources while you're in game.
Whatever it is doesn't appear to be malicious... check Task Manager and your startup programs.

2)You don't have A-XMP enabled. Memory doesn't run at the advertised speeds out of the box - you have to enable that yourself in the bios.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You haven't provided much to go on - full system specs would be great - but with what you have provided so far:
"fps stays the same regardless of graphics settings", that tends to point to a cpu limitation. Now, seeing that you've been running this setup for awhile, this wasn't always the case with your cpu.
Suspect cpu is either thermal throttling, or something is occupying cpu resources.
Check cpu temps and scan for viruses/malware.

Mar 31, 2020
View: https://imgur.com/a/Xh24rKQ

Idle Temps:
Note: My room is hotter than usual, normally in a cold dorm room but you know...
CPU ~35°C @ 10% load with chrome and monitoring software @ 3892 MHz
GPU ~40-45°C

Game Temps:
Playing COD:MW at max settings
CPU ~45 °C
GPU ~70-75°C

Sidenote: I've also reapplied thermal paste to my GPU and CPU about 3 weeks ago but I don't think I messed anything up with that.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)The PC got flagged for a crap-ton of background usage - 77%! That's way too high, and would eat into cpu resources while you're in game.
Whatever it is doesn't appear to be malicious... check Task Manager and your startup programs.

2)You don't have A-XMP enabled. Memory doesn't run at the advertised speeds out of the box - you have to enable that yourself in the bios.

Solution
Mar 31, 2020
My PC is running much better now, I've disabled most of the startup apps which all had high performance impact and I've deleted some apps that ran in the background.
I enabled XMP but my PC won't boot up at 3200 Mhz, It's stable now at 2664 Mhz, Any solution to get it up to it's advertised speed?