[SOLVED] Why is my GPU not using my VRAM

May 30, 2020
I have recently switched to my old laptop with radeon r7 m340 with 2 gb of VRAM, however when i started up gta 5 which requires more than 1.5 gb of VRAM on current settings, the metrics say that gpu VRAM utility is only 9mb (thats displayed always, no matter what i am doing on my PC), and i think its causing a lot of frame drops. The metrics also say that cpu utility is very high (intel i7-6500U) which i think is normal, but my ram (16gb, 15.7 usable) is used way too much when i am playing a video game that graphically very demanding. Can someone help?

Solution
I did do so, it did fix the choppiness but metrics still say only 9mb of VRAM are utilized, but gpu is working, however on 87%, also, another problem i forgot to mention is that when i tab out of the game and come back, its frozen but i can hear movement when i press w,a,s or d and at one point it just crashes. I am really confused since i never saw this problem before.
Make sure the gpu drivers are up to date. If it’s actually using the dedicated gpu then it cannot only be using 9mb, it’s probably an issue with inaccurate vram reporting.
May 30, 2020
Is the game using the igpu instead of the dedicated gpu? Try turning on Windows high performance power setting.
I did do so, it did fix the choppiness but metrics still say only 9mb of VRAM are utilized, but gpu is working, however on 87%, also, another problem i forgot to mention is that when i tab out of the game and come back, its frozen but i can hear movement when i press w,a,s or d and at one point it just crashes. I am really confused since i never saw this problem before.

Make sure the gpu drivers are up to date. If it’s actually using the dedicated gpu then it cannot only be using 9mb, it’s probably an issue with inaccurate vram reporting.

Solution
May 30, 2020
Maybe the problem is that i downloaded them from AMD directly, not HP, the manufacturer of the laptop, because i updated them two days ago...