Question Why is my GPU too hot?

Jul 2, 2020
I have a problem with my graphics card – it gets too hot. When in desktop mode it’s 62 degrees, while gaming (The Sims 4 with all expansions) it hits 85 degrees and shuts down after approximately 15 minutes.

My PC is a self-build, it’s 5 years old this summer. I played a lot of Sims 4, when it was a new game in 2015/2016, but with all the expansions, it’s getting harder for my GPU. It gets too hot for Skyrim too, but I had no problems with that game 5 years ago.

What I have tried:
I had the same problem with my old graphics card, so I exchanged it with a newer and more powerful model, but it also runs too hot.
I have tried to change the cooling paste, I have cleaned the fans and the entire cabinet several times. I have made sure, that all the chords are hidden for good and free airflow. There is three fans, the ones in the front and in the side takes air in, the one on the back blows hot air out.

For a short while I thought that the problem might be that my new GPU was to powerful for my power supply, but since I had the same problem with my older GPU I don’t’ think, that’s the problem…

I don’t know what to do next…

This is my first self-build, so I’m still quite the newbie, when it comes to hardware problems.

Some specs:

GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series
CPU: AMD FX (tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
RAM: GB Ram
Power Supply: 650W power supply, Corsair

Thanks!
Heidi

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Since you have changed the thermal paste and all that, it makes me think that it can be the case or other components, try checking the temps of the cpu and all that. This may be unlikely because you have had the system for a long time. Also, 85 degrees is not overheating for most amd gpus. I have a 5700 xt that literally runs at 105-110 degrees celcius while underload. What was the new gpu you tried with?

kiriakos-gr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
www.ittsb.eu
I have a problem with my graphics card – it gets too hot. When in desktop mode it’s 62 degrees, while gaming (The Sims 4 with all expansions) it hits 85 degrees and shuts down after approximately 15 minutes.

You forgot to mention your ambient temperature, if your room is at 30 to 35 Celsius, then it best of you to start thinking to visit the sea or a forest for vacations.

Jul 2, 2020
artavasdes: The new GPU is my current GPU. It's an AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 series.
2 years ago my CPU got too hot, but I installed a new cooler, and now it rarely exceeds 40 degrees. I am running Windows 7 and I have not re-installed in 5 years - but that's hardly the problem...

kiriakos-gr: I live in Denmark - heat is not an issue here. My room temperature is between 18 and 21 degrees, maybe 26 on a hot day.

kiriakos-gr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
www.ittsb.eu
kiriakos-gr: I live in Denmark - heat is not an issue here. My room temperature is between 18 and 21 degrees, maybe 26 on a hot day.

My crystal ball telling me that your 650W power supply, Corsair , this is now aged and cannot keep up any more.
Poor incoming power due a failing at load power supply this causing heat too.
If you care for longetivity get a power supply this be priced at over 120 Euro at the 95% of shops out there..

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
My crystal ball telling me that your 650W power supply, Corsair , this is now aged and cannot keep up any more.
Poor incoming power due a failing at load power supply this causing heat too.
If you care for longetivity get a power supply this be priced at over 120 Euro at the 95% of shops out there..
Yeah, most likely the power supply aging. I don't know if it is covered by warranty or not.

Jun 29, 2020
Looks like a lot of people with power issues where their PC will show a blank display (like my issue) or having shut down issues have Corsair PSU's, I got my Corsair CX600M almost 6 years ago and it was my first custom PC build ever, I started experiencing dwm.exe crashes that makes me think it's the PSU as well, and reading around here I've seen others with Corsair CX model PSU's that have been having issues lately - looks like I'll be moving on from Corsair in terms of PSU's, although I still love their PC Cases and RAM.

kiriakos-gr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
www.ittsb.eu
I got my Corsair CX600M almost 6 years ago and it was my first custom PC build ever, I started experiencing crashes that makes me think it's the PSU as well............
Corsair CX500 did not make it to hold accurate specifications for a period of a year in a PC this working in a medical lab.
Corsair this is not a Power Supply electronics manufacturing industry.
It is a matter of plain luck if the circuit this will tolerate Gaming abuse and for how long time.
Best solution, in writing warranty for three years no matter the PSU model or maker.

poorbugger

Distinguished
Since you have changed the thermal paste and all that, it makes me think that it can be the case or other components, try checking the temps of the cpu and all that. This may be unlikely because you have had the system for a long time. Also, 85 degrees is not overheating for most amd gpus. I have a 5700 xt that literally runs at 105-110 degrees celcius while underload. What was the new gpu you tried with?
Dude what....85 degrees is bad for any gpus not just amd. Gpus tend to throttle at 83C mark and any temps above 80C isnt good for the longevity of the gpu. You should get your gpu checked out if it's running at 100+ degrees underload.

poorbugger

Distinguished

My PC is a self-build, it’s 5 years old this summer. I played a lot of Sims 4, when it was a new game in 2015/2016, but with all the expansions, it’s getting harder for my GPU. It gets too hot for Skyrim too, but I had no problems with that game 5 years ago.

What I have tried:
I had the same problem with my old graphics card, so I exchanged it with a newer and more powerful model, but it also runs too hot.
I have tried to change the cooling paste, I have cleaned the fans and the entire cabinet several times. I have made sure, that all the chords are hidden for good and free airflow. There is three fans, the ones in the front and in the side takes air in, the one on the back blows hot air out.

For a short while I thought that the problem might be that my new GPU was to powerful for my power supply, but since I had the same problem with my older GPU I don’t’ think, that’s the problem…

I don’t know what to do next…

This is my first self-build, so I’m still quite the newbie, when it comes to hardware problems.

Some specs:

GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series
CPU: AMD FX (tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
RAM: GB Ram
Power Supply: 650W power supply, Corsair

Thanks!
Heidi
Since you already repasted the gpu and saying that your old gpus also have hot temps, i'll assume it's not the gpu hardware fault. Now, i wish to know how fast were the fans spinning? Set up a fan curve in msi afterburner where at 65C mark, set the fan speed to 50%. 70C=55% and continue as you wish. Take a can of compressed air and clean your pc fans, make sure there is not dust. Check the direction of the chassis fans to make sure it is installed properly. Also, can you state your cpu temps during gaming or idle as well because if the cpu is running hot too, it's likely your pc doesnt have good airflow. Take off the side panel of the case to see if it improves temps.

Jul 2, 2020
Taking of the case doesn't lower the temperature - only with a few degrees. The case and the fans are cleaned and all the fans are working.
I use msi afterburner to overlook the temperature, while I'm gaming. I don't really know how to adjust fan speeds. I just opened the program and clicked on the little settings wheel by "fan speed" and my computer started to make a lot of noise and the temperature went from 62 degrees to 46! But I don't really know, what I did - I'm still a new user of msi Afterburner.

My motherboard is an ASUS M5A97 R2.0
I don't like my GPU to be so hot over a longer period of time and it shuts down with blue screen at 85 degrees.