[SOLVED] Why is my GPU's usage so low?

Dec 25, 2019
Recently I have formatted my PC and installed everything fresh. I did this because I thought there were some viruses troubling my gameplay(Overwatch). Sadly, issue still left the same. When I get into areas where there is some rough and lots of action my fps drops from 90 to 25. The most interesting part is that at the same time the gpu usage goes as low as 25-30%. I just don't get it. Sometimes when I am picking my hero or doing literally nothing in the menu, the usage stays higher than 70%. And yes, my pc is quite old, but I at least expect running OW smoothly on low graphics
Here are my pc specs:
-AMD-FX-6300 (Overclocked from 3.5Ghz to 4.0Ghz)
-Some corsair water cooler I don't remember
-R9280X-DC2T-3GD5
-8GB of RAM
-Mother: AsRock 960GM-VGS3 FX
-256GB SSD (that's where my windows are installed)
-1TB HDD (that's where my games are installed)

Please help:))))

Solution
Fps drops because of the cpu. Games use scripts, which can get very cpu intensive, especially around large areas of physX and AI usage, like explosions or town squares packed with npcs. That drops fps hard on those old FX cpus. The gpu can only put on screen what the cpu sends, so if the cpu sends 20fps to the gpu, that's all you can get.

Apart from any online optimizations per game, or disabling processes such as Xbox DVR/game bar, the only cure for those kinds of fps drops is a better cpu, which for you means motherboard, cpu, ram upgrade.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fps drops because of the cpu. Games use scripts, which can get very cpu intensive, especially around large areas of physX and AI usage, like explosions or town squares packed with npcs. That drops fps hard on those old FX cpus. The gpu can only put on screen what the cpu sends, so if the cpu sends 20fps to the gpu, that's all you can get.

Apart from any online optimizations per game, or disabling processes such as Xbox DVR/game bar, the only cure for those kinds of fps drops is a better cpu, which for you means motherboard, cpu, ram upgrade.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news.

Solution