[SOLVED] Why is my GTX 1060 6GB stated DDR3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 10, 2020
Hello. My GPU acts a bit strange lately. It has made screen tearing problem and task manager couldn't even detect it. After all days searching for the problem I saw that (software) GPU-Z are showing that my 1060 has a 'Memory Type DDR3 (Hynix)' and 'Memory Size 2048MB'. Moreover I can't even do any of my works with this GPU!The gpu's fan is still spinning as normally though.(MSI Afterburner could not use/detect anything) & (Resolution becomes small and uncontrollable)

I have tried changing the BIOS but it makes Black Screen only (So I reverse to previous BIOS).
I have tried every driver.
This GPU works fine perfectly before...
but one day it suddenly makes a screen tearing and .... Broken....
I have only used it for only 3 MONTHS!!
I'm currently using GT 710.

My Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: HyperX 8GB x2 (16GB) 2666MHz
Motherboard: asrock a320m-hdv r4.0
PSU: Cooler Master Elite V3 500w
GPU (before): Galax EXOC Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
GPU (currently writting this): GT 710 2GB

Thanks for everyone of you trying to help me. Can't wait to hear your suggestion.
And i'm totally scared that all you telling me to buy a new one.. cause conclution
"GPU broke" ༼☯﹏☯༽
I'm currently broke building this Gaming PC. I spend every money in my pocket just to build this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Cloud
Solution
So is the card flashed with the EXOC BIOS at this point? If it is not, do it before proceeding.

Then, after the card is flashed do in the following sequence:
  1. take 1060 out
  2. put the GT710 in
  3. boot, uninstall afterburner and any other utilities you have used
  4. reboot and run DDU, then reboot in safe mode and clean out all NVIDIA drivers.
  5. power off, remove the GT710, install the 1060 and answer my question below. DO NOT install any drivers yet.
1 Question..
Yes
I did get a Black Screen after the system is booted.
When 1060 with the EXOC BIOS, is the only card in the system and has the screen hooked up to it, upon pressing the power button, what is true?
  1. you can...
So is the card flashed with the EXOC BIOS at this point? If it is not, do it before proceeding.

Then, after the card is flashed do in the following sequence:
  1. take 1060 out
  2. put the GT710 in
  3. boot, uninstall afterburner and any other utilities you have used
  4. reboot and run DDU, then reboot in safe mode and clean out all NVIDIA drivers.
  5. power off, remove the GT710, install the 1060 and answer my question below. DO NOT install any drivers yet.
1 Question..
Yes
I did get a Black Screen after the system is booted.
When 1060 with the EXOC BIOS, is the only card in the system and has the screen hooked up to it, upon pressing the power button, what is true?
  1. you can see the monitor turns to active (green LED or whatever you get when it gets active)
  2. you do see a BIOS splash on the screen
  3. you do see a windows loading screen
  4. you do see a desktop environment
  5. nothing of the above
(You mean post as in like the gpu's fan is spinning or gpu's fan spinning and the screen are normal [no black screen] )
POST stands for Power On Self Test, I refer to it as loading all the way to a BIOS screen where the next step would be OS loading.

P.S can you try another display output on 1060 without much trouble?

Last edited:
Reactions: Haize55
Solution
Jun 10, 2020
So I have flashed it with EXOC BIOS and followed every steps given until Number 5.

1Q.
Yes

2Q.
No

3Q.
No

4Q.
No

5Q.
Yes nothing all above, except for Nombor 1

So I have flashed it with EXOC BIOS and followed every steps given until Number 5.

1Q.
Yes

2Q.
No

3Q.
No

4Q.
No

5Q.
Yes nothing all above, except for Nombor 1
Ok, that is something. Try the same with this one.
Which port are you using (HDMI? DVI-D? DisplayPort?) Can you switch to DVI-D?

Last edited: