Question Why is my gtx 760 crashing at just 72C and at 100% load?

supert567

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
Hello all. My Gtx 980 ti just kicked the bucket the other day so i installed my gtx 760 as a filler until my new card comes in next week. I properly uninstalled the old graphics drivers and reinstalled proper ones for the 760. Though when I open up any game to try and play (Mainly WoW or Overwatch) the game crashes. So i started watching the temp of it, and even set a fan curve. I noticed the card hits 100% load and exactly 72C before the game itself crashes. Never the pc itself, and never higher than 72C as msi afterburner and other programs track it. The computer is also completely stable when idle, or on youtube/netflix. I'm not sure what to do, nor am i the most tech savvy. I'm more concerned that it could be a psu issue, I saw someone say that it could be possible for it to not hold enough charge to pump the right amount of watts or something of those sorts, i don't know how true that would be though it was working fine for a 980 ti. My psu is the Evga Supernova 850W 80+ Gold. And my cpu is the i7 6700k @4.2Ghz. Any help would be appreciated! Otherwise I won't be gaming until the 980 gets in, and i hope this problem doesn't persist with it as well.

supert567

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
It sounds like the card is unstable. Try reducing the clock speed of the card using MSI Afterburner and see if that helps.
Sadly it didn't work. I just reduced the clock speed to -100 and ran Overwatch for about 3 minutes. Temps rose to 80-82C then my monitor went black and the fans on the card kicked into 100% and the computer froze with the fans still going so i had to restart the PC :/

supert567

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
Wait, did you install the graphics drivers from the manufacturer's webpage or did you let Windows install the card. I honestly forgot about this step, as usually installing and running DDU in safe mode is the largest pain.
I followed the guide that the DDU website gave me. So i had downloaded the drivers directly from Nvidia's page, not let windows install it. In fact i disconnected from the internet when i had gone through the whole safe mode uninstall and re-install. Dunno if that makes any difference sorry D: Just following what it had told me to do since I'm not really well versed in all this troubleshooting stuff. As long as it's not my Psu going i can wait until the 980 arrives and hopefully install the drivers for that correctly.

supert567

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
That seemed to do the trick. I was able to complete a full game of Overwatch for about 7 minutes, and run around in my other game in a heavily populated area with some frame drops of course but too be expected. Though the temp limit is at 65C it was maxing out at 70C. Do you possibly know why it would be crashing like it was without the temp limiter? Also, is there any tricks that i should do when swapping out this 760 for the 980 next week?