Question Why is my HP Z420 server motherboard not displaying output?

Jul 5, 2022
I just got a used Z420 motherboard and tried to power it up, it turns on and the status light is blue which per HP means that every is ok and there are no errors, but for some reason not matter how many GPUs or ports I try (DP, HDMI, VGA, DVI) it doesn't display anything. I cleared the the CMOS, but that didn't do anything.. I tested all the GPUs, cables and monitors with my other systems and it works just fine.

Why is this happening, whats going on?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

First off, how are you powering the board? The main power connector(towards the lower edge of the board) is a 18 pin connector, apart from the 8pin power input at the top. Second, when you purchased it, was the board in working order or was the listing for said board assigned "for parts"? If the latter then the board was known to be faulty hence why it was listed "for parts". Third, make and model of your PSU and it's age? Fourth, inspect the CPU socket for any bent or broken pins.

Jul 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

First off, how are you powering the board? The main power connector(towards the lower edge of the board) is a 18 pin connector, apart from the 8pin power input at the top. Second, when you purchased it, was the board in working order or was the listing for said board assigned "for parts"? If the latter then the board was known to be faulty hence why it was listed "for parts". Third, make and model of your PSU and it's age? Fourth, inspect the CPU socket for any bent or broken pins.
Yes I powered the board using both the 18 and 8 pin connectors, and no the board was not listed a "for parts". I have an evga 750 watt psu with an adapter for getting the 24 pin to an 18 pin, I tested it on other systems and it works just fine. Cpu socket looks good!
Thanks for trying though!

No, I have a Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2696 v2. Eventhough it's not listed I read online that the it works just fine (it's a v2 and still needs a LGA2011 and not LGA2011-V3 socket). It's not listed becuase it came out in 2013.
Yes, but it must also be supported by the motherboard's Bios. Are you sure this is the case ?

EDIT: there is a bios update, but it seem to essentially address security problems
https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...z420-workstation/5225033/swItemId/wk-245301-1

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022
Not sure. But boot up is relative, nothing happens on your screen. It seems as though the motherboard doesn't know what to do with this CPU.
And are your sure that this CPU is working ? From where did you get it ?
I ended up getting anther CPU (Xeon E5-1603) It's on the official HP CPU support list for this motherboard and I have the same issue.. The PC turns on the LED is blue so everything is working fine. After about 30 seconds the CPU fan ramps up to a higher rpm, but I get no display output, no matter which gpu I use etc.