[SOLVED] Why is my i5-4690k bottlenecking?

Aug 29, 2020
My PC CPU usage ranges from 40-50% at idle and peaks at 100% while using chrome.
My current processor is an i5-4690k and it tends to have both random spikes and constant high usage. Does anyone have any idea as to why this is?
I do a variation of things ranging from video rendering to gaming so I was wondering if it was in my best interest to upgrade my CPU or my build as a whole.
I'm currently running an Intel Z97 (Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI) with a GeForce 1070 8GB and am limited to 4th-5th gen so I was looking at the 4790k. The upgrade for that CPU would be in the ballpark of $300, is that worth it or should I just go for a full upgrade? Thanks in advance for all your helpful answers!

Solution
50% usage at idle is very high. It’s probably quicker to do a fresh install of Windows especially if this hasn’t been done in a while. A 4690k is going to struggle in modern AAA games. An upgrade to a 4790k at $300 is not worth it at all. You can buy a modern cpu/motherboard/RAM for that money that will perform better.
50% usage at idle is very high. It’s probably quicker to do a fresh install of Windows especially if this hasn’t been done in a while. A 4690k is going to struggle in modern AAA games. An upgrade to a 4790k at $300 is not worth it at all. You can buy a modern cpu/motherboard/RAM for that money that will perform better.

Solution