Question why is my i7-870 overheating?

ebaylover24

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
i think i know why its running around 90c on battlefield one with a stock cooler it makes sense to why because i mean its a stock cooler and bf1 is high intensive game i may answer my own question here but it goes even higher then 90 sometimes now idle its ok its less than 50 around 42 on average so is this normal for it to get super hot with a stock cooler and could someone suggest a good lga 1156 cooler to me thanks for the help !

mgallo848

Commendable
Like Wildcard said,

1: Make sure PC is dust free. Make sue the CPU fan and heatsink is dust free.

2: Get an aftermarket cooler (make sure it fits whatever case you have). The stock fan is horrible.

3: The i7 870k came out in Sept. 2009....nearly 10 years ago. It's very possible the thermal paste has dried up. You may need to clean off all the old paste from the CPU and underside of the heatsink and reapply a fresh coat.

Reactions: WildCard999

ebaylover24

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
Dust? Stock cooler (junk)? CPU Intensive game?

All can play a role in those high temps. What case do you have?
Not too much dust at all I checked inside and there’s barely any if anything at all , rosewill fbm-x1 , and I am running a stock cooler so I assume that’s why it’s overheating but would the motherboard cause it too ? Like one match it’s at medium settings then auto takes it too low so and I think when I checked some of the prongs may have been damaged on the motherboard but it worked fine and nothing is wrong maybe it’s just my eyes haha but other games it seems to be ok

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Going round in circles.

If op is going for a new and better cooler, there's no need to clean the old one. If op is getting a new cooler, it comes with paste either in a tube or pre-applied, so no need to re-paste, just use the cooler paste as is after cleaning the cpu. Directions will be included too, usually.

Paste doesn't transfer heat. It's the silicates and diamond dust and other stuff in the paste that transfers the heat, so even if the paste dries out rock hard, it still works. As long as the seal isn't disturbed. It's like caulking, once the seal is good, it's always good, but break that seal and it's bunk. It doesn't take much with dry paste to break the seal though, one decent hard knock to the heatsink, constant vibrations from a junky fan etc.

Pretty much any cpu cooler for Intel will fit that socket. Intel hasn't changed its pin dimensions in years, so any heatsink designed for any LGA115X will work. The only requirement is how much space you have from the motherboard to the case side.

Cryorig H7 will do a great job on that cpu and at 145mm tall will fit almost any case except those uber slim models.

Idle temps are high, even for the stock cooler, how many case fans you got in that Rosewill? Should be 1 exhaust, 1intake and the psu as exhaust. You might can cheat the fan curve in bios, default is 70 for max, turn it to 60 max at the front fan. That'll spin the front fan faster at lower temps on the curve, supply more intake.

Last edited:

ebaylover24

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
Like Wildcard said,

1: Make sure PC is dust free. Make sue the CPU fan and heatsink is dust free.

2: Get an aftermarket cooler (make sure it fits whatever case you have). The stock fan is horrible.

3: The i7 870k came out in Sept. 2009....nearly 10 years ago. It's very possible the thermal paste has dried up. You may need to clean off all the old paste from the CPU and underside of the heatsink and reapply a fresh coat.
I actually just bought the cpu had no thermal so I put some on but the trash stock cooler had some on there ! So I’m assuming it’s just too powerful for the stock cooler to be able to handle the temps of it so I’m gonna go with the Cryorig H7 or the hyper evo 212

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Forget the EVO, it's been replaced by the Black RGB which has a far better mounting, the old junky X bracket is going bye-bye. The new coolers have a mount similar to the Noctuas, which is arguably the best there is.

Edit: actually, forget the 212 period. That Rosewill case has only 150mm of clearance, the 212 is 160mm. Stick with the H7 or maybe a Noctua NH-U9 series.

ebaylover24

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
Forget the EVO, it's been replaced by the Black RGB which has a far better mounting, the old junky X bracket is going bye-bye. The new coolers have a mount similar to the Noctuas, which is arguably the best there is.

Edit: actually, forget the 212 period. That Rosewill case has only 150mm of clearance, the 212 is 160mm. Stick with the H7 or maybe a Noctua NH-U9 series.
The nh -u9 is an amd cpu cooler right ?

ebaylover24

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
The NH-U9S comes with brackets to support both AMD & Intel.

Those stock push pin style coolers are junk, especially once you've removed and put them back on a few times the pins loosen up.
One more question the guy I bought it from had an aluminum stock cooler he was running at stuff below 82c he didn’t say the exact number but is it possible to have a different size stock cooler that could be bigger or taller that runs cooler then a smaller or bigger one depending on the capatibility ? That may be a dumb question but u have been helping me learn and I appreciate it greatly . I am Italian so reading is hard .

ebaylover24

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
One more question the guy I bought it from had an aluminum stock cooler he was running at stuff below 82c he didn’t say the exact number but is it possible to have a different size stock cooler that could be bigger or taller that runs cooler then a smaller or bigger one depending on the capatibility ? That may be a dumb question but u have been helping me learn and I appreciate it greatly . I am Italian so reading is hard .
And I agree the pins had to be pushed back together for me to even put them in but I just took it off and cleaned the CPu and put it up till I get a new cooler Idles were low though but gaming was unbearable