[SOLVED] Why is my I7 9700k CPU hitting close to 100% when I stream and play. My brother has the same exact CPU and his doesn't go over 70%?

Apr 2, 2020
I have 2 Top fans, 1 back fan, and 2 front fans with liquid cooling. I also have a 850W Power Supply, along with the Radeon 5700XT Graphics Card. And have a MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus LGA1151 Motherboard.

Solution
You say that your brother has the exact same CPU, but are your computers identical apart from that, or are there any differences which could help explain the performance difference you are plagued by?

Sometimes computers perform very differently, even when it is only a few parts that are different.

You have a very powerful CPU and graphics card, so I'm not trying to suggest that's your limitation. But sometimes seemingly small differences can have a bigger impact than you would think.

And when comparing performance between you and your brother's PC, it could possibly be helpful to identify possible differences and how they affect the performance

But it is probably more likely the performance is affected by software.

I just wnated...
it can depend on what all is running in the background. if you have unneeded processes or other applications running it will take more CPU power to do this, stream audio/video, and game at the same time.

it can also depend on the individual system settings; BIOS settings, overclocking or not, etc.

Apr 2, 2020
it can depend on what all is running in the background. if you have unneeded processes or other applications running it will take more CPU power to do this, stream audio/video, and game at the same time.

it can also depend on the individual system settings; BIOS settings, overclocking or not, etc.

My CPU hits around 25-30% when I stream off my PS4 but when I stream games like Siege it flies up to 100%. Like Siege alone makes it hit 60%. It shouldn't even be close to that.

Apr 2, 2020
You are using your CPU for the streaming,go to the encoder settings and choose qsv if you have you iGPU enabled,otherwise get the AMD version of OBS to use your AMD card.
You want to stream with your CPU. It makes the quality look better. This is why I bought such a good CPU so I could play games and stream on it.

You say that your brother has the exact same CPU, but are your computers identical apart from that, or are there any differences which could help explain the performance difference you are plagued by?

Sometimes computers perform very differently, even when it is only a few parts that are different.

You have a very powerful CPU and graphics card, so I'm not trying to suggest that's your limitation. But sometimes seemingly small differences can have a bigger impact than you would think.

And when comparing performance between you and your brother's PC, it could possibly be helpful to identify possible differences and how they affect the performance

But it is probably more likely the performance is affected by software.

I just wnated to quietly mention that direct comparison on a few parts only, doesn't always paint the full picture

Last edited:
Solution
You want to stream with your CPU. It makes the quality look better.
At the bitrates you need to get a decent stream the quality is going to be the same,also youtube screws up your quality anyway.
Like Siege alone makes it hit 60%. It shouldn't even be close to that.
It hits 60% usage because that's where your GPU limits are,reduce the FPS on the game and the usage will drop by a lot.

BOTTOM LINE the only reason your brother has lower usage is either lower quality settings on the stream (GPU stream) or lower FPS on the games.