[SOLVED] Why is my Idle CPU Temp at 60-70C

Oct 1, 2020
Hi Guys, need help please.
So I have a new PC
But my Idle CPU temp is at 60-70 C
It was initially 70-80 with benchmark reaching 89C but then I cleaned everything and applied a right amount of thermal paste which made it 60-70C at idle. I have friend with the same Mobo but his is at 50C. I dunno why mine has that temp. whenever i touch the processor/ liquid backplate, its not that hot though.
also, only the CPU temp is high, Mobo temp, chipset temp, and cpu socket temp are all around 40C

Im using:
Asus ROG B450-F
Ryzen 5 3600XT
Corsair h100I iCUE RGB pro XT
4 additional Case fans

Solution
-Hybrid cooler's pump has air trapped in it?
-Hybrid cooler's fans are choked for air?
-Didn't use the correct paste application? 'Little in the middle isn't quite as effective on Ryzen 3000 due to the multiple dies beneath the IHS. A full, yet thin spread or 2 dot, should be more effective.
-Pump speed isn't maxed out?

There's a lack of info; I'm just guessing here.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-Didn't use the correct paste application? 'Little in the middle isn't quite as effective on Ryzen 3000 due to the multiple dies beneath the IHS. A full, yet thin spread or 2 dot, should be more effective.

Solution
Oct 1, 2020
How are you measuring the temp? Are all your fans running OK? What fan profile are you using in Corsair Link? What if you switch it to Performance?
Switched it to performance. all fans are working. still the same. measuring the temp using CPUID.
thou i observed most of my fans logos are facing inside the case, and the side with the cross(backside?) is facing out of the case. could that be it? does it mean they are all intake or exhaust?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
iu

Reactions: GrinTheComputerNoob
I have R7 3700X with beQuiet Dark Rock Slim air cooler (which is considered as average good), plus 2 intake fans in front and one outtake fan in back. So, only 4 fans in total. Actually, I could have only one intake fan in front and everything would still be fine. But to have a little over-pressure inside PC case, I decided for two fans, which I can run at lower speeds now. Idle CPU temp is about 33-35°C (~12C above room temp) and about 67-72°C on full load. Needless to say my PC is VERY silent -which is very important for me.
So, what does that tell you? Sorry to say, but you just wasted money because of all that water cooling hype. Not even Ryzen9 3900X needs water cooling to run cool and silent. One should decide for water cooling when there's a good reason for that! And finally, if PC case allows mounting 10 fans, that doesn't mean you should actually populate all of them. In most cases, that only makes airflow worse.
Sorry for long intro -it's meant more for those who are thinking about to start building new PC.
As for your trouble... I would check if cooling box is properly mounted on CPU. Means, take it off, clean surfaces, and apply very thin layer of thermal paste again. Btw. guessing temperature by touching cooling box on CPU isn't really reliable method -because that side is "far away" from CPU surface.
And finally, every fan (to my knowledge) has air flow direction arrows printed on housing:
Air-Flow-of-the-Fan.jpg

Reactions: GrinTheComputerNoob
Oct 1, 2020
s

I have R7 3700X with beQuiet Dark Rock Slim air cooler (which is considered as average good), plus 2 intake fans in front and one outtake fan in back. So, only 4 fans in total. Actually, I could have only one intake fan in front and everything would still be fine. But to have a little over-pressure inside PC case, I decided for two fans, which I can run at lower speeds now. Idle CPU temp is about 33-35°C (~12C above room temp) and about 67-72°C on full load. Needless to say my PC is VERY silent -which is very important for me.
So, what does that tell you? Sorry to say, but you just wasted money because of all that water cooling hype. Not even Ryzen9 3900X needs water cooling to run cool and silent. One should decide for water cooling when there's a good reason for that! And finally, if PC case allows mounting 10 fans, that doesn't mean you should actually populate all of them. In most cases, that only makes airflow worse.
Sorry for long intro -it's meant more for those who are thinking about to start building new PC.
As for your trouble... I would check if cooling box is properly mounted on CPU. Means, take it off, clean surfaces, and apply very thin layer of thermal paste again. Btw. guessing temperature by touching cooling box on CPU isn't really reliable method -because that side is "far away" from CPU surface.
And finally, every fan (to my knowledge) has air flow direction arrows printed on housing:
Air-Flow-of-the-Fan.jpg
Thank you dude. learned a lot from this. Let me try to put the amd air cooler and see if that would make it a bit better.

Allen_Walker

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
Hi Guys. its at 49 - 60 now at idle. Thank you for all your help.

Turned out the screw on the liquid cooler plate was loss thread therefore was not making full pressured contact with my CPU.

Thank you all.
49°-60° is way lower than 60°-70° but still little high for an idle , idle temps usually between 30°-40° , i think you can still drop the temps little bit
(does your case have good airflow ?)

you can use your GPU temps to see where the problem is
example: both CPU & GPU idle at 40-50° this mostly means that you have bad Airflow in your case
if GPU idles at 30° and CPU at 50° this means there is something wrong with your CPU cooler (not installed properly / fans in bad position....)

Last edited: