Question Why is my Intel i9-9900k temperature too high ?

Feb 5, 2023
i9-9900k is 90*C at 3600Mhz. Running at high temperature and that's without any overclock ?
Motherboard is Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite with Kraken M22 cooler.
:oops:

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Because you have an entry-level cooler with a high-end, high TDP processor. 120mm AiOs are not exactly good for cooling. They are the equivalent of a budget air cooler when it comes to cooling capacity. On the same note, I will add that Intel has paid no attention to making more energy efficient desktop processors.

-1 Intel

Feb 5, 2023
Because you have an entry-level cooler with a high-end, high TDP processor. 120mm AiOs are not exactly good for cooling. They are the equivalent of a budget air cooler when it comes to cooling capacity. On the same note, I will add that Intel has paid no attention to making more energy efficient desktop processors.

-1 Intel
Can any processor malfunctions occur due to temperature?

Can any processor malfunctions occur due to temperature?
Considering Intel's latest desktop processor, the i9-13900KS, runs at 100C with 280mm AiO.. I would say no. Intel probably considers that normal operation.

nvXVwyLUpKPNy9DEfW7y8Q-970-80.png.webp

Malfunctions happen because of high voltage, not temperature.
High voltages( like from overclocking), will increase temperatures.

A intel processor will monitor it's own temperature and will slow down(throttle) or shut down to protect itself if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.
If your speed is 3600 under load, then it is likely you have throttled.

What apps are running when you measure 90c?
At idle with nothing running, you should see 10-15c. over ambient.
Much more than that, there is a problem.
--Your aio is not installed well.
--The radiator is not getting fresh air.
--The pump is not running or is clogged.
--The aio is old and air has intruded into the system. A aio does not last forever.

I would not worry about running at 90c. when under load.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Besides 120mm AIO/CLC being inadequate for a 9900K under moderate to heavy load, the Kraken M22 is another Apaltek disaster.
Msi's MAG and MPG Coreliquids clog earlier than they're supposed to - same thing with the Kraken M22.
Fractal Design's Lumen is also theirs, but I've not really heard anything about that series.

User error is also involved; top mounting these pump in radiator units will lead to an early demise, if the gunk doesn't get it first.

One has to wonder if the company knows how to assemble these coolers.

i9-9900k is 90*C at 3600Mhz. Running at high temperature and that's without any overclock ?
Motherboard is Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite with Kraken M22 cooler.
:oops:
Just because you didn't set an overclock doesn't mean that the mobo didn't apply one.
If you go into bios and everything is set to auto then that's overclocked.
3600Mhz is also the base frequency so that is also weird, if it always stays there or above it it means that power saving features are also disabled.

TRENDING THREADS